"Santa Lucia in the cloud forest" Nanegal by MalenaN
Nanegal Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 136 photos
Santa Lucia Cloud Forest Reserve is situated about 80km northwest of Quito. It is an area which is great for hiking and bird-watching. The mornings can be clear and sunny with good views, but in the afternoon it is always cloudy.
Landless families bought land here after a land reform in 1976 and started an agricultural cooperative. It was not easy to farm the land as it led to environmental problems, and then the area was also declared a Protected Forest. Eventually the families turned to ecotourism and built a rustic lodge. The lodge is owned and run by the local families and besides tourists also volunteers and scientists come here to work with different projects.
I did several hikes while staying at Santa Lucia Eco Lodge. Some of the hikes can be done without a guide and on some of them you must be accompanied by a guide. On most of the hikes you follow trails through beautiful primary forest full of bromelias and epiphytes, and also orchids. It is a very tranquil place without TV or Internet (you can’t even charge your batteries at the lodge). There are no roads to the lodge, but you have to hike uphill for 1-2 hours to come here. It is a lovely place!
My first day of hiking I wanted to do a long hike and my guide Jorge suggested that we do the Tower Hike. It is a hike... more travel advice
To see, and hear, the Andean Cock-of-the Rock birds during their mating ritual (lek) you must leave Santa Lucia very... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Nanegal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santa Lucia in the cloud forest"
- "Santa Lucia - Cloud Forest Reserve"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nanegal
- Hotels in Nanegal
- Transportation in Nanegal
- Nightlife in Nanegal
- Restaurants in Nanegal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nanegal
- 8 Reviews
- 119 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Nanegal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nanegal
Photos in NanegalSee All Photos (119)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 146 reviews, 715 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 126 reviews, 618 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 34 reviews, 278 photos, 17 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 48 reviews, 257 photos, 7 travelogues
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues