Otavalo Transportation Tips by MalenaN Top 5 Page for this destination
Otavalo Transportation: 6 reviews and 9 photos
Before coming to Quito I had read that buses to Otavalo leaves from Terminal Carcelen, in the far north of Quito. To know how to get there I asked for direction. Someone told me to take the bus to La Y and from there take another bus to Carcelen. When I left in the morning they told me at my hotel to take the yellow Metrobus from La Marín to Ofelia and from there another bus to Carcelen.
At La Marín I bought the ticket for Ofelia, which was 25 cents (June 2011). On the way to Ofelia the bus stopped at La Y (two different stops) but I decided to continue to the end stop Ofelia. From La Marín to Ofelia it took over half an hour and when we arrived there people quickly went to line up in queues for other buses. The queue for the Carcelen bus was the longest and when the bus arrived the queue dissolved as everyone tried to get in at the same time. Anyway I got on the bus! The bus linking Ofelia with Carcelen didn?t cost anything (not when you have already paid for the Metrobus).
At Carcelen most people went directly to the ticket booths, but I had to buy something to eat first as I hadn?t had breakfast and there were several small booths selling snacks and drinks there. Then I went to buy the ticket for Otavalo, which was $2. To enter the terminal you have to pay another 20 cents. On the bus ticket not only the seat number was written, but also the bus number. As it was Saturday , and market day in Otavalo, a lot of people were going there and my bus was not the first leaving, but the third.
To Otavalo it took 2 hours and the bus stopped at the terminal, but many people left the bus already at the Panamericana and took a short cut to the market. However, it is not far to the market from the terminal either.
Coming back to the terminal in the afternoon a bus was just leaving for Quito and I went aboard and bought the ticket on the bus. To Carcelen it took 1h 50 minutes
At Carcelen I went to the line for La Y (wanted to see if this way was quicker than the one over Ofelia). On the bus I paid 25 cents and at La Y the line for the Metrobus was very long. As I had already paid 25 cents I didn?t pay again for the Metrobus to La Marín. As far as I can see it doesn?t matter if you change at La Y or at Ofelia, as both routes took a very long time.
MalenaN's Related Pages
Otavalo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saturday Market in Otavalo"
- "To market, to market ..."
- "Market day in Otavalo"
- "Otavalo Indigenous Market"
- "Otavalo Market"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Otavalo
- Hotels in Otavalo
- Transportation in Otavalo
- Restaurants in Otavalo
- Shopping in Otavalo
- Warnings and Dangers in Otavalo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Otavalo
- 5 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to Otavalo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otavalo
Photos in OtavaloSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues