"Market day in Otavalo" Top 5 Page for this destination Otavalo by MalenaN

Otavalo Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 407 photos

Otavalo is situated at an altitude of 2550 metres in the north Andes, 145km north of Quito. It is a medium sized town with a population of almost 50 000. In the vicinity there are several volcanoes and the mountain slopes are fertile

Most tourists visit Otavalo for the famous Saturday market, but there are other things to see or do in and around Otavalo. There is an Anthropological Museum, A Condor Park outside the town and also outside the town there is a magical tree, El Lechero. The hiking is supposed to be good around Otavalo and you can visit several villages to learn about the traditions in the villages and craft being made, weaving, wood carvings and leather work. I am one of those tourists who only visited Otavalo for the market though, on a daytrip from Quito.

• Last visit to Otavalo: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 31, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I would love to have a look at those Markets!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Dec 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

They are very colourful. It is a pity that I missed the animal market in Otavalo. That would have been interesting (but then on the other hand I saw the animal market in Zumbahua).

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Dec 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I imagine they would have been nearly the same.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2012 at 4:32 AM

That looks like an awesome market and I know i would love browsing through there. As usual - great transportation tip also.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2011 at 5:23 AM

Another colorful market! Transportation in Ecuador sounds chaotic but interesting.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2011 at 8:37 AM

We hope to go to Otavalo when we visit Quito, although as we have visited other South American markets I wonder how different it is, apart from in size. If we are short of time, do you think this is something we could miss out, or would we regret it?

Badges & Stats in Otavalo

Have you been to Otavalo?

Latest Activity in Otavalo