"Puerto Ayora" Puerto Ayora by MalenaN
Puerto Ayora Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 340 photos
With around 15 000 inhabitants Puerto Ayora is the largest town in the Galapagos Islands, and it is also the tourism centre. There are many hotels in all categories here, but they are more expensive compared to the mainland. Especially along Avenida Charles Darwin you will find hotels, as well as restaurants and souvenir shops. There are also some ATMs and Internet cafés. In Puerto Ayora there are many travel agencies organising day tours to nearby islands or to sites on Isla Santa Cruz. Besides going on tours, or a cruise, there are several places of interest nearby that you can visit on your own, like Charles Darwin Reseach Station, Las Grietas and Tortuga Bay. You can also rent bikes and go surfing, kayaking or diving (and yes, there is a decompression camber in Puerto Ayora).
Puerto Ayora is situated on the south side of Isla Santa Cruz, at Academy Bay, a protected bay where you will find the harbour full of cruise boats and fishing boats. Walking near the sea you might see Brown Pelicans, Sea Lions, the colourful Sally Lightfoot Crabs and Marine Iguanas. Amazing to see in a town of Puerto Ayora’s size.
December - May is the warm and wet season in Puerto Ayora. It is often clear, but with rain showers, and the temperature is around 24 - 31°C. Between June - November it is colder, around 17 - 24°C, and the sky is often overcast, but there is little rain.
Puerto Ayora was founded by a small group of Norwegians who settled here in the 1920s. They established a fish cannery and they built a wharf in the bay. The town is named after an Ecuadorian president, Isidro Ayora.
2011: I visited Puerto Ayora on the first day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote (before we had even been to the boat). We had a late lunch at a restaurant in town and visited Charles Darwin Research Station. After the cruise, before going back to the mainland, I stayed in Puerto Ayora for two nights and had time to visit Las Grietas and Tortuga Bay. If I had stayed longer I would have rented a bike to visit places further away from town.
2013: I visited Puerto Ayora again and spent several days here before and after a second cruise. This time I rented a bike three times to make day trips out of Puerto Ayora, I went on a boat trip to Floreana and also visted Las Grietas, Tortuga Bay and Charles Darwin Research Station again.
When I visited Puerto Ayora in 2013 I rented a bike three times and made daytrips out of Puerto Ayora. One day I cycled... more travel advice
When I was in Puerto Ayora in 2013 I went jogging along the trail to Tortuga Bay twice, or three times. I went jogging... more travel advice
- See All Shopping for other things than souvenirs
- See All Hotel Crossman
- See All Speedboat between Puerto Ayora and San...
MalenaN's Related Pages
Puerto Ayora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Puerto Ayora"
- "The town on the bay"
- "Gateway point with Baltra as a proxy"
- "Puerto Ayora Santa Cruz Island Galapagos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Ayora
- Hotels in Puerto Ayora
- Transportation in Puerto Ayora
- Restaurants in Puerto Ayora
- Shopping in Puerto Ayora
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Ayora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Puerto Ayora
- 34 Reviews
- 278 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Puerto Ayora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Ayora
Photos in Puerto AyoraSee All Photos (278)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 146 reviews, 715 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 126 reviews, 618 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 34 reviews, 278 photos, 17 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 48 reviews, 257 photos, 7 travelogues
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues