"Puerto Villamil, Isla Isabela, Galapagos Islands" Puerto Villamil by MalenaN
Puerto Villamil Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 123 photos
Puerto Villamil is situated on the south-eastern side of Isla Isabela. It is the third largest settlement in the Galapagos Islands with about 2000 inhabitants. It is a laidback place with sandy streets and a long white sandy beach in front of town. Around the central plaza there are some nice restaurants, there are a few Internet places, grocery stores, souvenir shops, laundries, a post office and a bank (but not yet with an ATM that takes foreign bankcards).
People from Puerto Villamil traditionally got their income from fishing, but now more and more are working with tourism, as the number of visiting tourists is increasing.
If you are visiting Galapagos Islands independently this is a good place to go. You have a beautiful beach right in town, there is a Tortoise Breeding Centre just outside Puerto Villamil, and there is a good place for snorkelling. Around Puerto Villamil there are several lagoons where you can spot many bird species and especially the Greater Flamingo is nice to see. You can make a trip to Muro de las Lagrimas and probably see Giant Tortoises along the road, and a trip to Las Tintoreras, an island full of Marine Iguanas and where you can also see White Tipped Reef Sharks. A very interesting tour to do is to Volcán Sierra Negra.
Puerto Villamil is named after General José Villamil who came to the Galapagos Islands in 1832 with the purpose to establish a new community, a place that was going to be a place of peace. It started out well, but as many of the settlers were convicts and rebel soldiers sent from the mainland to work, the presence of “rough characters” were to high, and also introduced domestic animals grassed on the dry, sparse vegetation. Already in 1837 General Villamil left the Galapagos Islands.
One morning I went for a walk along the sandy road west of Puerto Villamil. I came to a sign indicating that this was... more travel advice
Long ago whalers and pirates hunted tortoises to keep on board their ships as the tortoises could survive a long time... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Puerto Villamil Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Puerto Villamil, Isla Isabela, Galapagos Islands"
- "Frontier sensation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Puerto Villamil
- Hotels in Puerto Villamil
- Transportation in Puerto Villamil
- Restaurants in Puerto Villamil
- Warnings and Dangers in Puerto Villamil
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Puerto Villamil
- 13 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Puerto Villamil?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Puerto Villamil
- Posted in Travel Guayaquil Forum "Re: Guayaquil to the beach"
- updated a Puerto Villamil Travelogue "Puerto Villamil"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Puerto Villamil"
- Wrote a Review Complejo de Humedales and the road to the wall in Puerto Villamil Things to Do
- Commented on one of Assenczo's Puerto Villamil travel pages
Photos in Puerto VillamilSee All Photos (108)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 120 reviews, 587 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues