"Quito - Capital of Ecuador" Top 5 Page for this destination Quito by MalenaN
Quito Travel Guide: 1,112 reviews and 3,089 photos
I have visited Quito several times. The first time was in 2011 when I spent around ten days in Quito in June and August, and I liked it very much, especially the old town Centro Histórico. Centro Histórico is a lovely area with colonial architecture cobbled plazas, churches and many small museums. Some years ago much was renovated in the area and security has increased. It is a lovely part of Quito and this is where I chose to stay. Centro Histórico is a Unesco World Heritage Site. In 2012 I came back to Quito and visited for 14 days in June, July and August. Also in 2013 I stayed in Quito almost two weeks (days in June, July and August).
North of Centro Histórico is the more modern town. One part is La Mariscal where there are many hotels, restaurants, bars and tour operators. This is where many tourists choose to stay, and therefore the area is also called Gringolandia. I’m glad I didn’t stay here. In North Quito you will also find business and residential areas, shopping malls, parks and some nice museums.
Quito is situated at an altitude of 2850 metres, which makes it the second highest capital in the world (only La Paz is situated higher). If you are not acclimatised to high altitude you should take it easy the first days. Quito is beautifully situated in a valley with mountains on its west and east side. This means the city stretches out over 50 km in a north-south direction, but only 8km across. With 1.6 million inhabitants Quito is the second largest city in Ecuador.
Almost at the equator, but at an altitude of 2850m, makes the climate in Quito spring like all year round. It is chilly in the mornings and in the evenings, and daytime temperatures varies between 10-21°C. How warm it gets during the day depends on the clouds and if it rains or not. The dry season is in June - September, with July and August being the warmest months with least rain. The rainy season last from October - May, with most rain in February - April.
A legend says that Quito was founded in honour of the god Quitu, by his son Quitumbe. Long ago the Quitu people lived in the valley where Quito is now situated. They integrated with the Caras from the north coastal zone and formed Shyris nation around A.D. 1300. In 1487 the Inca took over and later the Spanish. The Spanish founded the city of San Francisco de Quito on 6 December 1534.
Secret Garden is a popular hostel in Quito, but they have also got a hostel on the foothills of Vulcán Pasochoa, with a... more travel advice
La Cima de La Libertad is situated on the foothills of Volcán Pichincha and here a monument and military museum, Templo... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Quito Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quito - Capital of Ecuador"
- "b1bob does Quito big time"
- "A city among volcanoes"
- "Thinking of South American Cities? Think Quito"
- "¡Bienvenidos a Quito!"
- "Connected with nature at the middle of the earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quito
- Hotels in Quito
- Transportation in Quito
- Nightlife in Quito
- Restaurants in Quito
- Shopping in Quito
- Warnings and Dangers in Quito
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quito
- 157 Reviews
- 841 Photos
- 40 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Quito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quito
- Posted in Travel Papallacta Forum "Re: Location of hotels"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Quito tips
- Wrote a Review From Quito to Secret Garden Cotopaxi in Quito Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "From Quito to Secret Garden Cotopaxi"
- updated a Quito Travel Page "Quito - Capital of Ecuador"
- Uploaded a Video to Quito
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues