"Quito - Capital of Ecuador" Top 5 Page for this destination Quito by MalenaN
Quito Travel Guide: 1,075 reviews and 2,921 photos
I spent around ten days in Quito in June and August 2011and I liked it very much, especially the old town Centro Histórico. Centro Histórico is a lovely area with colonial architecture cobbled plazas, churches and many small museums. Some years ago much was renovated in the area and security has increased. It is a lovely part of Quito and this is where I chose to stay. Centro Histórico is a Unesco World Heritage Site. In 2012 I came back to Quito and visited for 14 days in June, July and August.
North of Centro Histórico is the more modern town. One part is La Mariscal where there are many hotels, restaurants, bars and tour operators. This is where many tourists choose to stay, and therefore the area is also called Gringolandia. I’m glad I didn’t stay here. In North Quito you will also find business and residential areas, shopping malls, parks and some nice museums.
Quito is situated at an altitude of 2850 metres, which makes it the second highest capital in the world (only La Paz is situated higher). If you are not acclimatised to high altitude you should take it easy the first days. Quito is beautifully situated in a valley with mountains on its west and east side. This means the city stretches out over 50 km in a north-south direction, but only 8km across. With 1.6 million inhabitants Quito is the second largest city in Ecuador.
Almost at the equator, but at an altitude of 2850m, makes the climate in Quito spring like all year round. It is chilly in the mornings and in the evenings, and daytime temperatures varies between 10-21°C. How warm it gets during the day depends on the clouds and if it rains or not. The dry season is in June - September, with July and August being the warmest months with least rain. The rainy season last from October - May, with most rain in February - April.
A legend says that Quito was founded in honour of the god Quitu, by his son Quitumbe. Long ago the Quitu people lived in the valley where Quito is now situated. They integrated with the Caras from the north coastal zone and formed Shyris nation around A.D. 1300. In 1487 the Inca took over and later the Spanish. The Spanish founded the city of San Francisco de Quito on 6 December 1534.
Refugio de Vida Silvestre Pasochoa is situated 30 km southeast of Quito. It is a protected forest reserve established in... more travel advice
I left Hostería Pampallacta Termales at 8:40 and walked down to the main road. Luckily there were not a lot of barking... more travel advice
- See All Mercado Central
- See All Centro Comercial Granada, and Chile
- See All Pim's
- Snow capped volcanoes
MalenaN's Related Pages
Quito Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quito - Capital of Ecuador"
- "b1bob does Quito big time"
- "A city among volcanoes"
- "Thinking of South American Cities? Think Quito"
- "¡Bienvenidos a Quito!"
- "Connected with nature at the middle of the earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quito
- Hotels in Quito
- Transportation in Quito
- Nightlife in Quito
- Restaurants in Quito
- Shopping in Quito
- Warnings and Dangers in Quito
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quito
- 146 Reviews
- 711 Photos
- 26 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (134)
Have you been to Quito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quito
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Quito travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Returning to the intro page"
- Wrote a Review Hiking in Pasochoa in Quito Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hiking in Pasochoa"
- updated a Quito Travel Page "Quito - Capital of Ecuador"
- Uploaded a Video to Quito
Photos in QuitoSee All Photos (711)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 146 reviews, 715 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 125 reviews, 613 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues