"Riobamba and Chimborazo" Top 5 Page for this destination Riobamba by MalenaN
Riobamba Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 270 photos
Tourists mainly come to Riobamba for trekking, mountain biking and to organize a Chimborazo climb. For two years I have now wanted to climb Chimborazo, but last year when I was in Ecuador I broke my wrist and this year I first had a fever and then a cough, and thus not feeling well enough to acclimatize for the climb. I came to Riobamba anyway to at least do the mountain biking tour to Chimborazo with visits to the refugios. I visited Riobamba again in 2014.
Riobamba is situated in the central Andes at an elevation of 2750m. There are around 180 000 inhabitants in Riobamba, and the city is the capital of Provincia de Chimborazo. The name Riobamba comes from the Spanish word río (river) and a Kichwa word meaning valley. The city is situated in the Chambo River Valley.
The area was first populated by the Puhurá Indians and then for a short period by the Incas. The Spaniards founded Riobamba in 1534, not at the present location but near the village Cajabamba 17km away. In 1797 the area was struck by a terrible earthquake and Riobamaba was destroyed by a landslide. After that Riobamba was moved to its present location. In 1830 Ecuador?s first constitution was signed in Riobamab.
The average temperature in Riobamab is between 14°C and 23°C year round. There is a wet season and a dry season (May ? September)
Besides trekking, mountain biking and climbing in the vicinity of Riobamba there are other things you can do as a tourist. From Riobamba you can take a train to either Urbina or Colta, there are a few museums and you can stroll around and visit some of the squares and churches. Saturday is market day and many people comein to town to sell their products. There is also a market on Thursdays.
When I visited Riobamba in 2013 you could not see Chimborazo from the city, it was not clear enough. Even if you don?t... more travel advice
The Museo de Arte Religioso is housed in a beautiful restored colonial building, which used to house the Convento de la... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Riobamba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riobamba and Chimborazo"
- "One Night in Rio... bamba that is"
- "Riobamba - a quiet town in the Andes"
- "Riobamba: Your Base in the Chimborazo Province"
- "Five weeks as a Riobambeña"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riobamba
- Hotels in Riobamba
- Transportation in Riobamba
- Nightlife in Riobamba
- Restaurants in Riobamba
- Shopping in Riobamba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riobamba
- 22 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to Riobamba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riobamba
Photos in RiobambaSee All Photos (117)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues