"Riobamba and Chimborazo" Top 5 Page for this destination Riobamba by MalenaN
Riobamba Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 204 photos
Tourists mainly come to Riobamba for trekking, mountain biking and to organize a Chimborazo climb. For two years I have now wanted to climb Chimborazo, but last year when I was in Ecuador I broke my wrist and this year I first had a fever and then a cough, and thus not feeling well enough to acclimatize for the climb. I came to Riobamba anyway to at least do the mountain biking tour to Chimborazo with visits to the refugios.
Riobamba is situated in the central Andes at an elevation of 2750m. There are around 180 000 inhabitants in Riobamba, and the city is the capital of Provincia de Chimborazo. The name Riobamba comes from the Spanish word río (river) and a Kichwa word meaning valley. The city is situated in the Chambo River Valley.
The area was first populated by the Puhurá Indians and then for a short period by the Incas. The Spaniards founded Riobamba in 1534, not at the present location but near the village Cajabamba 17km away. In 1797 the area was struck by a terrible earthquake and Riobamaba was destroyed by a landslide. After that Riobamba was moved to its present location. In 1830 Ecuador’s first constitution was signed in Riobamab.
The average temperature in Riobamab is between 14°C and 23°C year round. There is a wet season and a dry season (May – September)
Besides trekking, mountain biking and climbing in the vicinity of Riobamba there are other things you can do as a tourist. From Riobamba you can take a train to either Urbina or Colta, there are a few museums and you can stroll around and visit some of the squares and churches. Saturday is market day and many people comein to town to sell their products. There is also a market on Thursdays.
Not off the beaten path, but not in Riobamba. In the morning I was picked up outside my hotel at 8:15,and then we, the... more travel advice
I decided to stay at Hotel Montecarlo in Riobamba. The hotel has a central location, it seemed to be nice and I hoped it... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Riobamba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riobamba and Chimborazo"
- "One Night in Rio... bamba that is"
- "Riobamba - a quiet town in the Andes"
- "Riobamba: Your Base in the Chimborazo Province"
- "Five weeks as a Riobambeña"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riobamba
- Hotels in Riobamba
- Transportation in Riobamba
- Nightlife in Riobamba
- Restaurants in Riobamba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riobamba
- 9 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Riobamba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riobamba
- Posted in Travel Latacunga Forum "Re: Replacing stolen clothing"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Riobamba travel pages
- updated a Riobamba Travel Page "Riobamba and Chimborazo"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tour to Chimborazo"
- Wrote a Review Tour to Chimborazo and mountain biking in Riobamba Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 120 reviews, 587 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues