"Isla San Cristóbal" Isla San Cristóbal by MalenaN
Isla San Cristóbal Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 237 photos
Isla San Cristóbal is the most eastern island in the Galapagos archipelago. It is the 5th largest in size with its 558 square km and it has the second largest human population. Even though not the largest town in Galapagos Islands Puerto Baquerizo Moreno on the south-western point is the provincial capital.
The name San Cristóbal is said to come from St Christopher, the patron saint of seafarers, but another explanation is that the island is named after Christopher Columbus.
During his voyage with the Beagle Charles Darwin visited Isla San Cristóbal in 1835. In 1888 a penal colony was established on the island and the prisoners were forced to work for a man called Manuel J Cobos, in his sugar factory. They were treated very badly and made a revolt in 1904 and killed Cobos.
There are several interesting visitor sites on Isla San Cristóbal and I have only visited a few of them. The third day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote we visited the island. In the morning, after breakfast, we visited the lovely white sandy beach at Cerro Brujo. Later we got some time in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno when our guide went to the airport to pick up two new passengers. After lunch on the boat we returned to the island to visit the tortoise reserve Galapaguera and the freshwater lake El Junco Lagoon in the highlands. Before returning to Cachalote we spent some more time in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno.
Update July 2013: I returned to Isla San Cristobal for a few days after a second cruise with Cachalote (not the same itinerary), and this time I saw more of the island, and even visited a few places again.
Many people don’t know that the town on Isla San Cristobal is called Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, because when people go there they often say they are going to San Cristobal, and the speed boat is going to San Cristobal, and the airplanes are flying to San Cristobal. Therefore I have put some of the tips from my Puerto Baquerizo Moreno page here as well.
When I rented the bike in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno they told me there was a restaurant where I could eat lunch in the... more travel advice
One day on San Cristobal I rented a bike from Patagonia Eco Multisport on Av Charles Darwin in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Isla San Cristóbal Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Isla San Cristóbal
- Hotels in Isla San Cristóbal
- Transportation in Isla San Cristóbal
- Restaurants in Isla San Cristóbal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla San Cristóbal
- 38 Reviews
- 237 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (236)
Have you been to Isla San Cristóbal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla San Cristóbal
Photos in Isla San CristóbalSee All Photos (237)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 156 reviews, 840 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 72 reviews, 473 photos, 18 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues