"Isla San Cristóbal" Isla San Cristóbal by MalenaN

Isla San Cristóbal Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 237 photos

Isla San Cristóbal is the most eastern island in the Galapagos archipelago. It is the 5th largest in size with its 558 square km and it has the second largest human population. Even though not the largest town in Galapagos Islands Puerto Baquerizo Moreno on the south-western point is the provincial capital.

The name San Cristóbal is said to come from St Christopher, the patron saint of seafarers, but another explanation is that the island is named after Christopher Columbus.

During his voyage with the Beagle Charles Darwin visited Isla San Cristóbal in 1835. In 1888 a penal colony was established on the island and the prisoners were forced to work for a man called Manuel J Cobos, in his sugar factory. They were treated very badly and made a revolt in 1904 and killed Cobos.

There are several interesting visitor sites on Isla San Cristóbal and I have only visited a few of them. The third day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote we visited the island. In the morning, after breakfast, we visited the lovely white sandy beach at Cerro Brujo. Later we got some time in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno when our guide went to the airport to pick up two new passengers. After lunch on the boat we returned to the island to visit the tortoise reserve Galapaguera and the freshwater lake El Junco Lagoon in the highlands. Before returning to Cachalote we spent some more time in Puerto Baquerizo Moreno.

Update July 2013: I returned to Isla San Cristobal for a few days after a second cruise with Cachalote (not the same itinerary), and this time I saw more of the island, and even visited a few places again.
Many people don’t know that the town on Isla San Cristobal is called Puerto Baquerizo Moreno, because when people go there they often say they are going to San Cristobal, and the speed boat is going to San Cristobal, and the airplanes are flying to San Cristobal. Therefore I have put some of the tips from my Puerto Baquerizo Moreno page here as well.

• Last visit to Isla San Cristóbal: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 5, 2014

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2014 at 5:12 PM

What an interesting page, so many different birds and animals - I would love to visit the Galápagos Islands one day.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Mar 31, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Thank you for visiting my San Cristobal page Regina! Galapagos Islands is an amazing place, I hope you will make it there one day:

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Would love to come here, but it's so expenisive from Australia. Nice page!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Jan 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Yes, it is expensive to go to Galapagos Islands, but it is such an amazing place! Thanks for visiting my page Dee!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

So cool, I would love to swim with sea lions!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Those tortoises are huge as are the sea lions. The Sally crabs are very colorful.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Looks a wonderful beach (sadly we won't see it as the Angelito doesn't come here on our itinerary), and I love the tortoises and sally lightfoot crabs! The sea lion on the bench really made me smile :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Interesting tips on the different kinds of crabs, birds and animals. I liked the ghost crabs particularly.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Excellent descriptions Malena, a very interesting reading indeed! Surrounded by playful sea lions while snorkeling? Oh, this must be fantastic! And Cerro Brujo looks absolutely gorgeous!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Another fantastic page!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Galapagos Islands look like a dream !

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Hi Malena
    Lovely page!
    It seems ironic that such undestated birds should have finally caused the 'penny to drop' in Darwin's mind and contributed to the development one of the most influential scientific principles of all time! Fascinating stuff ...
    Regards
    Cathy

Badges & Stats in Isla San Cristóbal

Have you been to Isla San Cristóbal?

Latest Activity in Isla San Cristóbal