"Isla Santa Cruz" Isla Santa Cruz by MalenaN

Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 722 photos

Isla Santa Cruz is the second largest island in the Galapagos, and it is the most visited. Here the largest town in the archipelago, Puerto Ayora, is situated. There are many visitor sites on Isla Santa Cruz, many of them can be visited independently, and it is easy to do daytrips to some other islands from Puerto Ayora. Charles Darwin Research Station in Puerto Ayora and some other visitor sites on the island are often included in the cruise itineraries.

The area of Isla Santa Cruz is 986 sq km and the highest altitude is 864m. In the costal zone mangrove is growing, in the dry zone you will find vegetation like Opuntia Cactus and Palo Santo trees. In the highlands is the humid zone with Scalesia forest and pastures. Around the villages Santa Rosa and Bellavista there are farms for agriculture and cattle raising.

2011: During the cruise with M/S Cachalote we visited Cerro Dragon, a visitor site where you will see Land Iguanas, the mangrove lagoon Black Turtle Cove and Santa Cruz Highlands (only the farm Mariposa) to see Giant Tortoises in the wild. We also visited Charles Darwin Reseach Station. After the cruise I visited Puerto Ayora on my own and then visited the beach at Tortuga Bay and took a walk to the lovely Las Grietas.

2013: This year I visited Isla Santa Cruz (stayed in Puero Ayora) for several days both before and after a cruise. Besides visiting Las Grieatas, Tortuga Bay and Charles Darwin Research Station again I visited places like Rancho Primicias, Rancho Chato 2, some lava tunnels, Puntudo and the beach at El Garrapatero. To some of the places I went with bicycle which I rented in Puerto Ayora.

2014: I stayed in Puerto Ayora on Isla Santa Cruz for more than a week. During this time I visited several places on the island which I hadn't seen before, but I also revisited places I had been to during my two previous visits.

• Last visit to Isla Santa Cruz: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2016 at 5:30 AM

Great page! I enjoyed reading about the wildlife. Thanks for the tour!

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:01 AM

Thank you John for visiting my page! I love Galapagos Islands and have been there once more since the last time I up dated this page.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2015 at 7:56 AM

wow, what a great destination with lots of unique wildlife !

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Yes, I love Galapagos Islands, and I am happy to have been there four times now!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Isn't nature fantastic? You've captured nature at its best. What lovely things to see and do! Always enjoy seeing the tortoises and fowl. Excellent page!

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Yes, the tortoises are wonderful! Thank you Dee for visiting my page!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Another great page of yours on Galapagos. As I cannot plan my trip there yet, I keep reading your tips. Thanks.

May 17, 2015 at 6:38 AM

I hope you get the chance to go there one day! Thank you for visiting my Isla Santa Cruz page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Malena, you have added lots of fine new tips and updates to this page in the past year. It's great that you have already visited this island three times.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Thank you Don for visiting my page! I will visit Santa Cruz a forth time this summer :)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2015 at 3:46 PM

A very good page, love the birds and all the wildlife here. Will come back to read the rest of your tips :)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Mar 22, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Just finished reading the rest of your tips, thanks for the virtual tour, Malena, this is a fantastic page!

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Thank you very much Regina! Galapagos is a fantastic place!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2014 at 4:12 AM

Great page

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Wow, what beautiful contrasting landscapes! The lava tunnel, volcanic cones, beautiful birds, and my favorite the Tortoises are gorgeous. Lovely page!

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Thank you Dee for visiting! It is a lovely place! Greetings from Ecuador!

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Based on the list of recent additions to your pages (right side of the VT profile page), it looks like you have been spending quite a lot of time on this page, and it certainly shows. What a wonderful description of the bird life here.

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:19 AM

Thank you for visiting my page Glenn. I have just spent a few days more on Isla santa cruz (left yesterday). I love galapagos islands and the things you can see and do there. Today I will go away to the highlands. I will probably be without internet for almost two weeks.

• glabah's Profile Photo
      Jul 14, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Sounds like a great adventure indeed.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Malena, you have added lots of updates and new tips since I last looked at your page about Isla Santa Cruz, so now it is better than ever. I especially like your explanations of how the various sub-species have adapted to different conditions on the different islands.

May 2, 2014 at 3:40 AM

Thank you Don! This is a page I'm still working on and I think I have at least ten more tips to add. Last time I visited Isla Santa Cruz I rented a bike three day and saw many very nice places.

Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Cruz

Have you been to Isla Santa Cruz?

Latest Activity in Isla Santa Cruz