"Isla Santa Cruz" Isla Santa Cruz by MalenaN
Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 695 photos
Isla Santa Cruz is the second largest island in the Galapagos, and it is the most visited. Here the largest town in the archipelago, Puerto Ayora, is situated. There are many visitor sites on Isla Santa Cruz, many of them can be visited independently, and it is easy to do daytrips to some other islands from Puerto Ayora. Charles Darwin Research Station in Puerto Ayora and some other visitor sites on the island are often included in the cruise itineraries.
The area of Isla Santa Cruz is 986 sq km and the highest altitude is 864m. In the costal zone mangrove is growing, in the dry zone you will find vegetation like Opuntia Cactus and Palo Santo trees. In the highlands is the humid zone with Scalesia forest and pastures. Around the villages Santa Rosa and Bellavista there are farms for agriculture and cattle raising.
2011: During the cruise with M/S Cachalote we visited Cerro Dragon, a visitor site where you will see Land Iguanas, the mangrove lagoon Black Turtle Cove and Santa Cruz Highlands (only the farm Mariposa) to see Giant Tortoises in the wild. We also visited Charles Darwin Reseach Station. After the cruise I visited Puerto Ayora on my own and then visited the beach at Tortuga Bay and took a walk to the lovely Las Grietas.
2013: This year I visited Isla Santa Cruz (stayed in Puero Ayora) for several days both before and after a cruise. Besides visiting Las Grieatas, Tortuga Bay and Charles Darwin Research Station again I visited places like Rancho Primicias, Rancho Chato 2, some lava tunnels, Puntudo and the beach at El Garrapatero. To some of the places I went with bicycle which I rented in Puerto Ayora.
2014: I stayed in Puerto Ayora on Isla Santa Cruz for more than a week. During this time I visited several places on the island which I hadn't seen before, but I also revisited places I had been to during my two previous visits.
When I visited Galapagos Islands in 2011 and 2013 I had not heard of El Manzanillo. When I saw the sign along the main... more travel advice
When I visited Puerto Ayora in 2014 I made four daytrips with bicycle. One day I cycled to Rancho Chato 2 and another... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Santa Cruz"
- "Isla Santa Cruz Galapagos"
- "ISLA SANTA CRUZ GALAPAGOS ARCHIPELIGO"
- "The Three aspects of Santa Cruz"
- "From the beaches to the Highlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Santa Cruz
- Hotels in Isla Santa Cruz
- Transportation in Isla Santa Cruz
- Restaurants in Isla Santa Cruz
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Santa Cruz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Cruz
- 78 Reviews
- 555 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (246)
Have you been to Isla Santa Cruz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Santa Cruz
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues