"Isla Santa Cruz" Isla Santa Cruz by MalenaN
Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 291 photos
Isla Santa Cruz is the second largest island in the Galapagos, and it is the most visited. Here the largest town in the archipelago, Puerto Ayora, is situated. There are many visitor sites on Isla Santa Cruz, many of them can be visited independently, and it is easy to do daytrips to some other islands from Puerto Ayora. Charles Darwin Research Station in Puerto Ayora and some other visitor sites on the island are often included in the cruise itineraries.
The area of Isla Santa Cruz is 986 sq km and the highest altitude is 864m. In the costal zone mangrove is growing, in the dry zone you will find vegetation like Opuntia Cactus and Palo Santo trees. In the highlands is the humid zone with Scalesia forest and pastures. Around the villages Santa Rosa and Bellavista there are farms for agriculture and cattle raising.
During the cruise with M/S Cachalote we visited Cerro Dragon, a visitor site where you will see Land Iguanas, the mangrove lagoon Black Turtle Cove and Santa Cruz Highlands (only the farm Mariposa) to see Giant Tortoises in the wild. We also visited Charles Darwin Reseach Station. After the cruise I visited Puerto Ayora on my own and then visited the beach at Tortuga Bay and took a walk to the lovely Las Grietas.
The vegetation in the highlands is very different to the coast. It is wetter, with green pastures and forests. There are... more travel advice
Before going to the airport on the last day of the cruise with Cachalote we visited Black Turtle Cove very early in the... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Isla Santa Cruz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Isla Santa Cruz"
- "Isla Santa Cruz Galapagos"
- "ISLA SANTA CRUZ GALAPAGOS ARCHIPELIGO"
- "The Three aspects of Santa Cruz"
- "From the beaches to the Highlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Santa Cruz
- Hotels in Isla Santa Cruz
- Transportation in Isla Santa Cruz
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Santa Cruz
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Cruz
- 29 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Isla Santa Cruz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Santa Cruz
Photos in Isla Santa CruzSee All Photos (151)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 120 reviews, 587 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues