"Isla Santa Fe" Isla Santa Fe by MalenaN

Isla Santa Fe Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 132 photos

On the second day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote we visited South Plaza in the morning, then we navigated to Isla Santa Fe and anchored in a calm bay on the north eastern side of the island. This is the only visitor site on Isla Santa Fe. The bay looked beautiful with turquoise water when we arrived, as the sun was shining then. After lunch we went snorkelling in the bay and after that we went to visit the island.

There is a wet landing on a beach with a Sea Lion colony. We stayed on the beach for a while watching the Sea Lions. It is incredible that you can stand there surrounded by the Sea Lions, and they can even come up to you. If they do, you should stand still so that you don’t frighten them. Then we walked along a trail where we saw Lava Lizards, Rice Rats (not an introduced species, but an endemic rat, Oryzomis bauri), spiders, Painted Locusts, a Galapagos Mockingbird, a Brown Pelican, a Galapagos Dove and the end of a snake. Up on the cliffs there were lots of tree-like cactuses, the Opuntia Cactus (Prickly Pear Cactus) and here on Isla Santa Fe they can be up to 10m tall. Before going back to Cachalote we went with the panga along the rocks of the bay, where there were several Blue-footed Boobies and Sally Lightfoot Crabs.

In 2014 I visited the same bay again while on a snorkeling daytrip, but this time we were not allowed to disembark, only to snorkel.

Isla Santa Fe is a 24 sq km large island, situated about 20km southeast of Isla Santa Cruz. The island is quite flat and the highest point is 259m. There are two trails on Isla Santa Fe, one is only 300m, which is the one we walked, and another trail is 1.5km. On the island you might be lucky to see the Santa Fe Land Iguana, a species found only on Isla Santa Fe. Unfortunately we didn’t see them.
The English name of the island is Barrington.

• Last visit to Isla Santa Fe: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2014

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2014 at 12:56 AM

What a great page!

• Redang's Profile Photo
      Nov 22, 2014 at 2:06 AM

Gosh, you must know the country like the back of you hand!

Nov 22, 2014 at 5:43 AM

There are still many places I haven't been to, for example the north and the south. Next time I plan to see a little bit more of north Ecuador.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Love the sea lions, what lovely landscapes and tips! You always do such a great job! Excellent page Malena!

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM

Thank you Dee for visiting my page! I love the sea lions too!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2014 at 4:10 AM

A lovely page, Malena, thanks for sharing :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Malena, I'm glad to see you have greatly expanded this fascinating page.

• jayjayc's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2014 at 9:52 AM

One of my favorite page now. Cheers!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I find the colony of Galapagos sea lions fascinating. It is amazing that the babies are able to recognize their mother's bark. There are so many of them.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Hello Lori, and thank you for visiting my Isla SAnta Fe page. I have just arrived to Puerto Ayora from another cruise in the Galapagos, but this time I went on another itinerary.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
      Jul 11, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Wow, Malena, you must really love it there. Enjoy your time there. xx

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I'm a little behind your Galapagos pages. But I'm glad I came back to explore and learn more, due to your excellent and detailed descriptions. It was interesting to learn about the nursing of the female Galapagos sea lions. I loved the Blue-footed Booby's mating ritual, very romantic! You made a great video!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Interesting page on Isla Santa Fe. Nice to watch wildlife especially sea lion and pelican. The island is certainly beautiful. Thanks for your virtual tour. Thanks also for visiting our Greece travel page. ~ho & pang

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Great wildlife photos, and I enjoyed your detailed description of your visit here. It's on our itinerary, and I can't wait! Looking forward to seeing the sea lions and the blue-footed boobies especially :-)

What sort of camera did you use for your underwater shots?

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Great wild-nature watching trip, Malena! Thank you for sharing!

Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Fe

Have you been to Isla Santa Fe?

Latest Activity in Isla Santa Fe