"Isla Santa Fe" Isla Santa Fe by MalenaN
Isla Santa Fe Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 132 photos
On the second day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote we visited South Plaza in the morning, then we navigated to Isla Santa Fe and anchored in a calm bay on the north eastern side of the island. This is the only visitor site on Isla Santa Fe. The bay looked beautiful with turquoise water when we arrived, as the sun was shining then. After lunch we went snorkelling in the bay and after that we went to visit the island.
There is a wet landing on a beach with a Sea Lion colony. We stayed on the beach for a while watching the Sea Lions. It is incredible that you can stand there surrounded by the Sea Lions, and they can even come up to you. If they do, you should stand still so that you don’t frighten them. Then we walked along a trail where we saw Lava Lizards, Rice Rats (not an introduced species, but an endemic rat, Oryzomis bauri), spiders, Painted Locusts, a Galapagos Mockingbird, a Brown Pelican, a Galapagos Dove and the end of a snake. Up on the cliffs there were lots of tree-like cactuses, the Opuntia Cactus (Prickly Pear Cactus) and here on Isla Santa Fe they can be up to 10m tall. Before going back to Cachalote we went with the panga along the rocks of the bay, where there were several Blue-footed Boobies and Sally Lightfoot Crabs.
In 2014 I visited the same bay again while on a snorkeling daytrip, but this time we were not allowed to disembark, only to snorkel.
Isla Santa Fe is a 24 sq km large island, situated about 20km southeast of Isla Santa Cruz. The island is quite flat and the highest point is 259m. There are two trails on Isla Santa Fe, one is only 300m, which is the one we walked, and another trail is 1.5km. On the island you might be lucky to see the Santa Fe Land Iguana, a species found only on Isla Santa Fe. Unfortunately we didn’t see them.
The English name of the island is Barrington.
On the second day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote (2011) we visited South Plaza in the morning, then we navigated to... more travel advice
The second snorkeling place we went to during the day tour in 2014, was in the same calm bay that I had visited when on... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Isla Santa Fe Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Fe
- 16 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to Isla Santa Fe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Santa Fe
- Posted in Travel Quito Forum "Re: Bus and taxi at International..."
- updated a Isla Santa Fe Travel Page "Isla Santa Fe"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Isla Santa Fe tips
- Uploaded a Video to Isla Santa Fe
- Wrote a Review Visiting Isla Santa Fe in Isla Santa Fe Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visiting Isla Santa Fe"
Photos in Isla Santa FeSee All Photos (116)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues