"Isla Santa Fe" Isla Santa Fe by MalenaN
Isla Santa Fe Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 61 photos
On the second day of the cruise with M/S Cachalote we visited South Plaza in the morning, then we navigated to Isla Santa Fe and anchored in a calm bay on the north eastern side of the island. This is the only visitor site on Isla Santa Fe. The bay looked beautiful with turquoise water when we arrived, as the sun was shining then. After lunch we went snorkelling in the bay and after that we went to visit the island.
There is a wet landing on a beach with a Sea Lion colony. We stayed on the beach for a while watching the Sea Lions. It is incredible that you can stand there surrounded by the Sea Lions, and they can even come up to you. If they do, you should stand still so that you don’t frighten them. Then we walked along a trail where we saw Lava Lizards, Rice Rats (not an introduced species, but an endemic rat, Oryzomis bauri), spiders, Painted Locusts, a Galapagos Mockingbird, a Brown Pelican, a Galapagos Dove and the end of a snake. Up on the cliffs there were lots of tree-like cactuses, the Opuntia Cactus (Prickly Pear Cactus) and here on Isla Santa Fe they can be up to 10m tall. Before going back to Cachalote we went with the panga along the rocks of the bay, where there were several Blue-footed Boobies and Sally Lightfoot Crabs.
Isla Santa Fe is a 24 sq km large island, situated about 20km southeast of Isla Santa Cruz. The island is quite flat and the highest point is 259m. There are two trails on Isla Santa Fe, one is only 300m, which is the one we walked, and another trail is 1.5km. On the island you might be lucky to see the Santa Fe Land Iguana, a species found only on Isla Santa Fe. Unfortunately we didn’t see them.
The English name of the island is Barrington.
The Blue-footed Boobies are funny looking birds, but also amazing with their bright blue feet and their special mating... more travel advice
This was the first snorkelling opportunity we had during the cruise with M/S Cachalote. We snorkelled for a little bit... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Isla Santa Fe Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Isla Santa Fe
- 8 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (133)
Have you been to Isla Santa Fe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Santa Fe
Photos in Isla Santa FeSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 145 reviews, 710 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 123 reviews, 602 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues