"Floreana - Isla Santa Maria" Isla Santa María by MalenaN
Isla Santa María Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 210 photos
The 5th day of the cruise with Cachalote (2011) we visited Floreana, also called Isla Santa Maria. In the morning we visited Punta Cormorant, where you can see the Greater Flamingo, and snorkelled at Devil’s Crown. In the afternoon we visited the Post Office Bay, a place where British whalers in the end of the 18th century placed a post office barrel. We mailed our own post cards there, visited a lava tunnel and snorkelled and relaxed on the beach. It was another great day!
Floreana is one of four inhabited islands in the Galapagos , but it has the smallest settlement. In the village Puerto Velasco Ibarra there are only about 150 inhabitants, and there are two hotels. It is a place we didn’t visit on the cruise and I didn’t have time to go there after the cruise either.
Update 2013: I visited Galapagos Islands again and this time I visited Floreana on a daytrip from Puerto Ayora. During this daytrip we visited Asilo de la Paz in the highlands and Puerto Velasco Ibarra, and we also snorkeled at La Loberia.
Charles Darwin visited Floreana in 1835. At that time the island was a penal colony.
In the 1930s some German immigrants settled on Floreana. There was a Baroness and her three lovers, a Dr. Ritter and his mistress and the Wittmer family. There seemed to be disagreement between the new neighbours and no one really knows what happened, but several people ended up dead or missing. Only the Wittmer’s survived and their descendants now run the hotel and restaurant in Puerto Velasco Ibarra.
Because Floreana has a long history of human presence the damage to the ecosystem has also been significant. For example the Floreana Tortoise has become extinct (but scientists think there might be one on Isla Isabela) and the Floreana Mockingbird endangered, and there is a big presence of introduced animals and plants. However, efforts are made to reduce the presence of introduced species.
Near Asilo de la Paz there is a large Tortoise Corral built by the National Park service. You are allowed to go inside... more travel advice
Daytour to Floreana When I was in Puerto Ayora in 2013I decided to take a day tour to Floreana. I had visited Florean... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Isla Santa María Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Floreana - Isla Santa Maria"
- "Better known as Floreana"
- "ISLA SANTA MARIA FLOREANA ISLAND GALAPAGOS.."
- "Santa Maria, AKA Floreana or Charles Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isla Santa María
- Transportation in Isla Santa María
- Restaurants in Isla Santa María
- Warnings and Dangers in Isla Santa María
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Isla Santa María
- 26 Reviews
- 173 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Isla Santa María?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isla Santa María
- Posted in Travel Strängnäs Forum "Re: Is it easy to get to the..."
- Uploaded a Video to Isla Santa María
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Isla Santa María travel pages
- updated a Isla Santa María Travelogue "Floreana"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Floreana"
- Wrote a Review Tortoise Corral in Isla Santa María Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 125 reviews, 605 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 120 reviews, 587 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 371 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues