"Festival in Sigchos" Sigchos by MalenaN
Sigchos Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 30 photos
Sigchos is a small dusty town along the so called Quilotoa Loop. It is mostly visited on the way to or from the villages Chugchilan, Quilotoa and Isinliví, as there is a quite good bus connection with Latacunga. When I travelled by bus back to Isinliví I regret I hadn?t asked for a hiking route, as I think it could have been a beautiful walk.
I had not planed to visit Sigchos but when I was in Isinliví the volunteer at Llullu Llama said there was a festival in Sigchos the next day. The children at school had practised for a parade and the whole village were going. We, all the tourists staying at Llulu Llama, thought it would be interesting to go as well, so early next morning we went to Sigchos. The bus stopped at the central concrete plaza and so did many other buses arriving with people from other nearby villages.
After visiting a restaurant and a short walk around town we took a seat on the steps below the central plaza. From there we had a very good view of the passing parade. First an orchestra passed by and then a few local politicians and three candidates for Miss Sigchos. I didn?t stay long enough to see who was crowned Miss Sigchos, but a week later a women I shared table with at a restaurant in Latacunga told me it was the woman in the red dress. Well, after the politicians and Miss Sigchos candidates the parade of school children started. Some children played instruments or danced. Every school in the area was there parading by, and I can?t believe there are so many schools in the vicinity. It was interesting to see, but after two hours the parade was still going on and we left our seats to have a walk around the plaza instead to see what the vendors there had to offer.
Sigchos festival is a festival for the locals and I?m glad we only saw two other tourists in town during our stay.
I had planned to take the bus to Isinliví from Latacunga at 13.00 and I arrived at the terminal in good time because I... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Sigchos Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Sigchos
- 3 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to Sigchos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sigchos
Photos in SigchosSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues