"Festival in Sigchos" Sigchos by MalenaN

Sigchos Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 26 photos

Sigchos is a small dusty town along the so called Quilotoa Loop. It is mostly visited on the way to or from the villages Chugchilan, Quilotoa and Isinliví, as there is a quite good bus connection with Latacunga. When I travelled by bus back to Isinliví I regret I hadn’t asked for a hiking route, as I think it could have been a beautiful walk.

I had not planed to visit Sigchos but when I was in Isinliví the volunteer at Llullu Llama said there was a festival in Sigchos the next day. The children at school had practised for a parade and the whole village were going. We, all the tourists staying at Llulu Llama, thought it would be interesting to go as well, so early next morning we went to Sigchos. The bus stopped at the central concrete plaza and so did many other buses arriving with people from other nearby villages.

After visiting a restaurant and a short walk around town we took a seat on the steps below the central plaza. From there we had a very good view of the passing parade. First an orchestra passed by and then a few local politicians and three candidates for Miss Sigchos. I didn’t stay long enough to see who was crowned Miss Sigchos, but a week later a women I shared table with at a restaurant in Latacunga told me it was the woman in the red dress. Well, after the politicians and Miss Sigchos candidates the parade of school children started. Some children played instruments or danced. Every school in the area was there parading by, and I can’t believe there are so many schools in the vicinity. It was interesting to see, but after two hours the parade was still going on and we left our seats to have a walk around the plaza instead to see what the vendors there had to offer.

Sigchos festival is a festival for the locals and I’m glad we only saw two other tourists in town during our stay.

• Last visit to Sigchos: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 27, 2011

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Super local colour - love the bright clothes of the people getting off the bus! Great that you got to experience such a local festival :-)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Sep 21, 2012 at 6:36 AM

I'm glad I heard about it when I was in Isinliví, and that I had the opportunity to go there.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Nice!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Aug 31, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I passed through Sigchos this year too, but only by bus. As there was no festival the streets were empty.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2012 at 4:03 AM

The festival looks interesting. I don't think I would like soup with chicken feet in it either. ewwww!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Great that you got to see the festival in this out-of-the-way town. That's a funny photo of the three Miss Sigchos contestants flanked by local politicians in suits and a guy in an army uniform.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 6:06 PM

an interesting place, off the beaten path and it is funny to see what is offered there on the market !

Badges & Stats in Sigchos

Have you been to Sigchos?

Latest Activity in Sigchos