"Tena" Tena by MalenaN

Tena Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 249 photos

Tena, which is the capital of Napo Province, is a quite small town with 23 000 inhabitants. It is situated where the rivers Tena and Pano meet and the town is surrounded by green hills. On clear days Volcán Sumaco can be seen if you are looking towards the northeast. Tena is a rainforest town so the rain falls all year round. As Tena is situated at an elevation of 500 metres it doesn’t get too hot. The average temperature is 24°C.

Tena is often described as an attractive and friendly town, but personally I somehow liked Puyo better (another rainforest town). Anyway, I really enjoyed all the fun things you can do around Tena. Many backpackers come to Tena for the excellent white-water rafting and kayaking you can do in the surrounding rivers. Others do jungle tours.

While I was in Tena I went rafting twice which was very fun and I also visited two exciting caves north of Tena. In the town itself a nice place to visit is Parque Amazonico.

• Last visit to Tena: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2013

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2014 at 3:45 AM

Fabulous little page about your adventures in Tena and surrounding region. How do you usually communicate with all the people you mention here? Do they all speak at least a bit of English?

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:13 AM

During the rafting tours we spoke English (the company was actually owned by a family originally from Ireland), otherwise it was all in Spanish. Thanks Holger for visiting my page!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Those caves look fantastic and it seems you had lots of fun rafting here too. Nice to "visit" another part of Ecuador with you :-)

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Thank you for visiting Sarah! Both visiting caves and rafting were fun things to do around Tena.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2013 at 5:23 AM

The caverns look simply amazing Malena. Yet another fun adventure for you.

Dec 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Thank you for visiting Lori! I enjoyed the caves very much, especially Cavernas Lagarto Matiri!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Wow, the caverns and white water rafting looks wonderful. The spider is fantastic. Spiders don't scare me either and I am rather fascinated by them. My boys think that is funny. Amazing page Melana and it looked like a amazing adventure!

Dec 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Thank you for visiting my Tena page Dee! There were absolutely some fun things to do around Tena.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM

The ride along the Río Jatunyacu was really a fun for you I believe. I've never tried rafting in my life because I'm not so courageous like you... The visits to Cavernas Templo de Ceremonia and Lagarto Matiri seem to be not so dangerous for me and I would also go there.

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Thank you for visiting Sergey! Among the activities around Tena I liked my visit to Cavernas Lagarto Matira the best, it was a great fun adventure (Cavernas Templo de Ceremonia is a much easier place to visit).

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Great Tena travel page. From your beautiful images we are glad to know that you really love rafting. Those caves on your off the beaten path certainly look great to visit and explore. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM

If some day I prepare a trip to Ecuador, I will make you many questions
    Thank you for your tips they have very good information

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Thank you Juan! There are lots of great places to visit in Ecuador!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2013 at 2:37 AM

The caves and the white-water rafting are really impressive!

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:09 AM

They were great fun activities! Thanks for visiting my page Don!

Badges & Stats in Tena