"Lovely Barichara" Barichara by MalenaN
Barichara Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 138 photos
Barichara is a charming colonial town with whitewashed houses and stone paved streets. The stone used on the streets is a brown stone found locally in Santander. Barichara was founded in 1705 and in 1978 it was declared a national monument. Since then the town has been carefully restored with a good result, and new modern buildings are not allowed to be built. Barichara is situated at an altitude of 1340 metres and the average temperature is 22° C, so it has got a pleasant climate.
The Guane Indians were the original inhabitants in this area and their word Barachalá (from which Barichara comes) means “a good place for a rest”. That is absolutely true today. Barichara is a very tranquil little town situated 20 km northwest of San Gil. I visited on a daytrip in the middle of the week and it was very quiet. I walked around the streets, visited the town’s four churches and a museum, had lunch at a restaurant and ate an ice cream at the central square.
I had been recommended to take the track to the nice village Guane from Barichara. It is an old Spanish trail which has been declared a national monument. Since than the path has been restored and laid with stones so it is easy to walk and it takes about one and a half hour. There are beautiful views along the walk. Well, I didn’t feel I had the time, but if I ever come to Barichara again I would do the walk.
To come to the restaurant you have to go up some narrow stairs. The restaurant is an open-air restaurant under a... more travel advice
Another of the small churches in Barichara is Capilla de Jesús Resucitado, two blocks west of the cathedral. It is built... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Barichara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Color of Barichara"
- "Lovely Barichara"
- "Barichara, a colonial jewel"
- "UN OASIS LLAMADO BARICHARA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barichara
- Hotels in Barichara
- Transportation in Barichara
- Restaurants in Barichara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barichara
- 8 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Barichara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barichara
Photos in BaricharaSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 156 reviews, 840 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues