"Lovely Barichara" Barichara by MalenaN

Barichara Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 138 photos

Barichara is a charming colonial town with whitewashed houses and stone paved streets. The stone used on the streets is a brown stone found locally in Santander. Barichara was founded in 1705 and in 1978 it was declared a national monument. Since then the town has been carefully restored with a good result, and new modern buildings are not allowed to be built. Barichara is situated at an altitude of 1340 metres and the average temperature is 22° C, so it has got a pleasant climate.

The Guane Indians were the original inhabitants in this area and their word Barachalá (from which Barichara comes) means “a good place for a rest”. That is absolutely true today. Barichara is a very tranquil little town situated 20 km northwest of San Gil. I visited on a daytrip in the middle of the week and it was very quiet. I walked around the streets, visited the town’s four churches and a museum, had lunch at a restaurant and ate an ice cream at the central square.

I had been recommended to take the track to the nice village Guane from Barichara. It is an old Spanish trail which has been declared a national monument. Since than the path has been restored and laid with stones so it is easy to walk and it takes about one and a half hour. There are beautiful views along the walk. Well, I didn’t feel I had the time, but if I ever come to Barichara again I would do the walk.

• Last visit to Barichara: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2009

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Beautiful photos in your tips and travelogues!

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Barichara was a beautiful place! Thanks for visiting Don!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Oh fantastic!! So many so beautiful churches and a lovely village! Thanks for the virtual tour, Malena :-)

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM

It is a lovely place and I would like to come back and do the hike to the smaller village Guane, 10km away.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Time for me to take a virtual journey through Colombia. From the size of your meal, I don't think there is any chance of me starving!

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Thank you Dee for visiting! The lunch offers are very good in Colombia, it is cheap and you get a soup and a main course. Barichara is such a lovely little town, a place I would like to visit again.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2009 at 6:01 AM

Thanks for the great tips on a place I've wanted to go for quite some time. Maybe next year I finally make it.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Great page of Barichara.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Both inside and out, Catedral de la Inmaculada Concepción is really beautiful! Barichara looks like a very picturesque town with the combination of blue sky, green foliage and orange stones in your photos!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Barichara looks lovely!! I would very much enjoy a stroll along the paved streets admiring those whitewashed houses. Very nice pictures in the travelogues!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2009 at 2:42 AM

Lovely pictures from Barichara, bringa back nice memories, I was there about a week before you last summer! The walk to Guane is great, if you return I'd highly recommend it.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Hi Malena, you have a great page with those new tips. greetings from a beautiful morning of Istanbul...

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM

a good start with a tip about local transportation, I first had the feeling that the white clouds in the back were snow-covered mountains ;-)

Badges & Stats in Barichara

Have you been to Barichara?

Latest Activity in Barichara