"Bogotá" Top 5 Page for this destination Bogotá by MalenaN
Bogotá Travel Guide: 651 reviews and 1,528 photos
Bogotá is a big city with about 7.5 million inhabitants. It is situated at an altitude of almost 2600 metres which gives the city a quite cool climate with an average temperature throughout the year of 14 degrees. Sunny days the temperature can rise above 20 degrees. The most rainy months are April, May, October and November, but there can come showers all year round. When I visited it was August and the sky over Bogotá was mostly grey, but there was only a few light showers. Most of the time I used a sweater with long sleeves. It was about the same (but no rain) when I visited in July the next year.
The area around Bogotá was inhabited by the Muisca Indians when the Spaniards arrived. The Spaniards founded a town near the Muisca capital Bacatá in 1538 and this new town they called Santa Fe de Bogotá. Bogotá became the capital of the Viceroyalty of Nueva Granada in 1717 and after the independence it became the capital of Gran Colombia (before that the town had been referred to as Santa Fe).
The old centre of Bogotá is Candelaria in the south where you will find many colourful colonial buildings, churches and museums. North of Avenida Jiménez is the commercial centre with shops, restaurants and offices. Further north Northern Bogotá is a modern district with shopping centres, the most expensive hotels and Zona Rosa with Bogotá’s best night life. In the east the city is bordered by a mountain range. Around the city there are also many shantytowns, especially to the south.
Down the road from Platypus and Sue Hostel is a café selling fruit salads, fresh fruit juices (with water or milk) and... more travel advice
When I came to Bogotá in 2008 I hadn’t made a reservation, but went to Platypus where I had stayed the previous year.... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Bogotá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bogota Revealed"
- "The Heart of Colombia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bogotá
- Hotels in Bogotá
- Transportation in Bogotá
- Nightlife in Bogotá
- Restaurants in Bogotá
- Shopping in Bogotá
- Warnings and Dangers in Bogotá
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bogotá
- 40 Reviews
- 163 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (133)
Have you been to Bogotá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bogotá
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 145 reviews, 710 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 123 reviews, 602 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 34 reviews, 233 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 57 reviews, 202 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uppsala Intro, 56 reviews, 187 photos, 9 travelogues