"Bucaramanga" Bucaramanga by MalenaN

Bucaramanga Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 90 photos

Bucaramanga is a big city with just over half a million inhabitants and it is the capital in Departamento de Santander. The city is situated at an altitude of 995 metres on a plateau in the Cordillera Oriental. The temperature is pleasant with an average of 17 - 23 degrees. Bucaramanga is called The city of the Parks and you can find several pleasant parks in the city, and it is surrounded by green mountains.
The city was founded in 1622, but it is only in the quarters around Parque García Rovira you can find colonial buildings, otherwise it is a modern city.
I liked Bucaramanga and was happy to make a break hear for two nights. I visited a couple of museums and the cathedral and made an excursion to the nearby colonial town Girón. I also walked around on the streets in the commercial centre visiting some shops and cafes. In Bucaramanga I didn’t see any other foreign tourists.

• Last visit to Bucaramanga: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Oct 8, 2007

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Thanks so much for your tour, Malena :-)) We once drove past the town, but.... my former colleague was very frightened that we might get into trouble (that was still the days when foreigners were focus of ELN and others)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Sep 6, 2013 at 5:55 AM

I'm glad that it was much calmer when I visited.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:10 AM

I think there was no real need to worry, but his boss was frightened that something could happen to "the one from headquarters" and completely neglected that I was there on holiday. He even threatened my ex-colleague...

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2013 at 10:43 AM

You really are an adventurous ! Nice to join you for the virtual tour, especially to pretty Giron.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      May 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thank you Dee! Yes, Girón was a very pretty place!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 4:25 AM

When I read your transport tips, Malena, I feel like I'm there on the bus with you, and back in South American too. Girón sounds like my kind of place.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:44 AM

This looks so beautiful ! When I was in Colombia, Bucaramanga was often avoided because of the said-to-be rebels. But it is good to see that it is safe :-)) These courtyards... ahh, I get homesick :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Wow, amazing transportation experiences during your visit to Bucaramanga, not to mention the great pictures in your tips and Travelogues! I too would love visiting these remote areas of Columbia!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2007 at 11:30 PM

I liked the city of the Parks - Bucaramanga! Giron with its colonial part of the town look quite unusual for me. Thanks Malena for the virtual tour!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Interesting and informative page of Bucaramanga. Thanks for showing us ! Maybe I will ever make it to Columbia too.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 10:52 PM

What a picturesque town. Great page of Bucaramanga. Would love to visit the Museum.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 10:38 AM

an interesting page & great pics ! thanks for sharing, Malena !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 9:40 AM

What a beautiful job you have done with your travelogues and tips about Bucaramanga. I enjoyed discovering about this this area [unknown to me].

Badges & Stats in Bucaramanga

Have you been to Bucaramanga?

Latest Activity in Bucaramanga