"Guapí" Guapí by MalenaN
Guapí Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 64 photos
Guapí is a town and municipality in the Department of Cauca. The town is situated near the Pacific coast by Rio Guapí. The town was founded in 1772 and today the municipality has got about 30 000 inhabitants. The main economical activities in the area are agriculture, fishing and mining. Being on the pacific coast Guapí has got a hot and humid climate year round. No roads are leading to Guapí, but the town can be reached by daily flights from Cali (there are also flights from Popayan, but I don’t think they leave daily). And there is a boat going between Buenaventura and Guapí.
I visited Guapí on my way to, and from, Isla Gorgona. Before going to Isla Gorgona we had to wait for the boat to leave, and meanwhile we took a walk through the small town with a local guy who was also going to Isla Gorgona. Coming back from Isla Gorgona I stayed a day and a night in Guapí. When I booked my Isla Gorgona tour I had been told that there were no flights back to Cali the day I wanted to leave. I thought it was too expensive to stay on Isla Gorgona for another day and thought it could be interesting to stay in Guapí, which is very different from other parts of Colombia that I have visited.
It was nice to hang around here for a day, walk around or sit at a café. The town feels colourful and lively, but with a relaxed atmosphere. There is the main street with shops and panadeías, a main square and then there is the street near the river where the market is. On the steps down to the river women are doing the laundry and on the river the traffic is busier than on the streets. There are no cars in the town, well at least only a few and some motorbikes.
I enjoyed my stay and think it is absolutely worth staying the night here on your way back from Isla Gorgona.
On the main street, opposite Hotel Rio Guapi, there is a souvenir shop selling things made of straw. I bought some nice... more travel advice
There are several cafés/panaderias in Guapí and I visited two of them, both on the main street. The first one was... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Guapí Travel Guide
- Hotels in Guapí
- Transportation in Guapí
- Restaurants in Guapí
- Shopping in Guapí
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guapí
- 6 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (136)
Have you been to Guapí?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guapí
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 146 reviews, 715 photos, 16 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 126 reviews, 618 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 34 reviews, 278 photos, 17 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 48 reviews, 257 photos, 7 travelogues
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues