"Manizales and Los Nevados National Park" Manizales by MalenaN

Manizales Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 139 photos

Manizales is the capital of Department of Caldas. The city is situated on ridges which makes many of the streets steep. And as the city is situated at an altitude just above 2000 metres the average temperature is 18°C. Manizales has a population of 420 000 inhabitants. The city is a main centre of the coffee trade in the region and there is a large student population. Manizales was founded as late as 1849 by people from Antioquia, who came here because of the civil war.

There are not many old buildings in Manizales as the city has been destroyed by earthquakes and fires in the past. But the Neo Gothic Cathedral is interesting to see and there are a few museums, among others a small gold museum. And from Manizales it is easy to visit Los Nevados National Park and a coffee farm in Zona Cafetera.

• Last visit to Manizales: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 15, 2008

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2014 at 7:32 AM

My goodness, more than 5100 metres!! Did you have any altitude problems? And was this your highest altitude so far? I bet that jumping into the hot pool afterwards was absolutely magic!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Mar 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Oh wow!!! Kudos to you!!!! And I cross all my fingers for the climb!!!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Mar 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I wanted to climb already in 2012 and 2013, but I broke my wrist one year and the other year I got a fever and cough. So, third time lucky!

• isolatedpawn's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM

nice pixs and articles

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2013 at 3:54 AM

The thin air wouldn't be any good for me, so I am thankful to you for good reviews and photo's

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Aug 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Thank you for visiting Dee! We went to higher altitude with a lot of stops to be able acclimatize. It was fine for me, but hard to walk the last bit up to 5125m.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2009 at 12:32 AM

a great page about an interesting part of the world, unfortunately mostly known for another "kind of industry"... Thanks for sharing, Malena !

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Your Los Nevados tour looks and sounds spectacular! Thanks for the beautiful photos and congratulations too for hiking up to such a high altitude! I loved the look of the cathedral in Manizales - very impressive.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2009 at 3:15 AM

The closest to Manizales I got was to Sta Rosa de Cabal (a day trip from Salento via Pereira). I hope to visit beautiful Los Nevados NP on my next trip. Really impressive pictures Malena!

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 7:54 AM

I love volcanic landscapes! The NP looks like a place for me!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Interesting tips!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2008 at 9:22 AM

What an interesting group of tips & wonderful travelogues. I especially enjoyed learning about the Cathedral, National Park, & Thermal baths. Excellent descriptions & details. I would not like a room that did not lock, but it seemed to work out, huh?

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 7:21 PM

Great new tips. What a nice National Park. So much to see in Colombia.

Badges & Stats in Manizales

Have you been to Manizales?

Latest Activity in Manizales