"Medellín" Top 5 Page for this destination Medellín by MalenaN

Medellín Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 506 photos

Many people think of drugs and violence when they hear of Medellín. And that was how it used to be. Under the 1980s Medellín was the centre of Colombia’s cocaine cartels and killings and other violence was common. In 1991, for example, 6349 people were murdered in the city and that was one of the highest murder rates in the world. But since Pablo Escobar (leader of the Medellín cartel) died in 1993 it has only become better and Medellín is now considered to be one of the safest cities in Latin America.

Medellín is often called The City of Eternal Spring, because of its climate. The city is situated in Aburrá Valley at an elevation of about 1500 metres. That gives Medellín an average temperature of an agreeable 23° C. Through the city, towards north, flows Medellín River.

Medellín is the second biggest city in Colombia with a population of 2,5 millions. For a tourist there are many things to do. There are several museums and old churches to visit, Botero statues and monuments to look at and excellent opportunities to do paragliding. If you have never tried paragliding before you should really take the chance to do a tandem flight while you are in Medellín. Many people come here for the nightlife, which has the reputation to be one of the best in Colombia. And some people come here for plastic surgery.

• Last visit to Medellín: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2008

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Thanks for bringing back sweet memories, Malena :-))
    (And haha, only when I was "in the middle" of reading I realised that I've already read back in 2009)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Mar 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM

That has happened to me too! I'm reading a page and I start to realise I I have seen them before, but long, long ago. We have been members of VT for so long now :)

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Oh my, yes, you even longer than I. I'll have my 10 years this year...

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

What weird and wonderful sculptures! I would be quite happy looking at all of them!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Sep 3, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Boteros sculptures and paintings are wonderful! They can be seen in many places around the world. Thanks for visiting Dee!

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Nice page Malena! Botero + plastic surgery sounds an interesting combination ;-))) And Santa Fe looks beautiful. Someday I will go to Colombia me too :-)

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Oh, I missed so much during my short business trips in Medellín! Paragliding sounds like a lot of fun and oh my, this freshly squeezed lemon juice gives back some very delicious memories :-))

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Look forward to visit of Medellín! Christmas lights seem to be very beautiful. I'm wondering which part of the city would be best to stay. Paragliding must be a fun and I will surely make a trip to Antioquia. Oh, those ice-creams look so tempting :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2009 at 10:24 AM

A very enjoyable page on Medellin - I thought it was still a drug city! Your para-gliding adventure looks quite thrilling, well worth a try! Beautiful 'green' tips too on the Botanical Garden and Parque Bolivar.

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Happy Birthday Malena! Nice tips and pictures from Medellín. I'm more interested in S.America now having visited Argentina & Brazil. Hopefully, I'll make it to Colombia at some point. Cheers!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2009 at 11:29 AM

So many wonderful places to visit! I'd love to, some day...

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2008 at 5:53 AM

Dear , your Medellin page is very nice , Thanks alot

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2008 at 11:31 AM

I never expected such a nice town. I really like those big statues! You were very brave to do para-gliding, I think. They really have some giant appartment blocks in this town.

Badges & Stats in Medellín

Have you been to Medellín?

Latest Activity in Medellín