"Mompós - Santa Cruz de Mompox" Mompós by MalenaN
Mompós Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 250 photos
Mompós was founded in 1537 and is a small town that has kept much of its colonial character. Therefore it has been on UNESCOs World Heritage List since 1995. Mompós is situated by the Magdalena River, about 200 km southeast of Cartagena.
Because of trade and travelling on the Magdalena River Mompós flourished and many churches and beautiful mansions were built in the town. But in the end of the 19th century the river were silting up and ships started to take the other branch of the river (Mompós is situated on a big island) and the towns glory came to an end.
Mompós is said to be a very tranquil and laidback town, but I found it to be more noisy than I had expected. There were a lot of motorcycles and one afternoon they were playing loud music at Plaza de Bolívar. The street by the river is more quiet though than the parallel main street. It is not easy to go here but I would anyway recommend a visit.
On Calle Real del Medio, south of Plaza de Bolívar, there is a café where you can eat crepes, ice creams and cakes. They... more travel advice
There is a restaurant and panaderia on the east side of Plaza de Bolivar under the arcades and that’s where I went... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Mompós Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dropping the Bag in Mompos Blues"
- "Mompós - Santa Cruz de Mompox"
- "Mompos-swampy, steamy, backwater colonial surprise"
- "Mompos, true Colombia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mompós
- Hotels in Mompós
- Transportation in Mompós
- Nightlife in Mompós
- Restaurants in Mompós
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mompós
- 15 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (245)
Have you been to Mompós?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mompós
Photos in MompósSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues