"Mompós - Santa Cruz de Mompox" Mompós by MalenaN

Mompós Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 250 photos

Mompós was founded in 1537 and is a small town that has kept much of its colonial character. Therefore it has been on UNESCOs World Heritage List since 1995. Mompós is situated by the Magdalena River, about 200 km southeast of Cartagena.

Because of trade and travelling on the Magdalena River Mompós flourished and many churches and beautiful mansions were built in the town. But in the end of the 19th century the river were silting up and ships started to take the other branch of the river (Mompós is situated on a big island) and the towns glory came to an end.

Mompós is said to be a very tranquil and laidback town, but I found it to be more noisy than I had expected. There were a lot of motorcycles and one afternoon they were playing loud music at Plaza de Bolívar. The street by the river is more quiet though than the parallel main street. It is not easy to go here but I would anyway recommend a visit.

• Last visit to Mompós: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Another interesting page! I like the way the churches are painted.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Sep 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Thank you Dee! Yes, the churches were beautiful and they were many of them for such a small town.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Sure are lots of Iglesias. Another interesting page of your adventures in Colombia

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Dec 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Thank you Lori! Yes, lots of churches for being such a small place.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I so enjoyed the tour! The river and the beautiful cathedrals are my favorite. Excellent page!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Merry Christmas, Malena. Right now Colombia is at the top of my list, and Mompos is at the top of the top...

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Oh my, another cute town I missed, but Mompós was always not exactly on my way. I love your travelogues! Beautiful pictures! The botanical garden sounds soo lovely!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Loved the opening picture - I think I would very much enjoy a stroll along this river! Lovely colourful churches and the colonial mansion which houses Casa de la Cultura! And yes, you are really an expert in transportation tips Malena :)

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Excellent updates. Wow.. what a nice opening photo at the riverside. Cheers, SL :)

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM

Interesting page with great pictures. Malena. thanks for showing all those pages of Colombia. Once I hope to go there myself.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2008 at 3:23 AM

thats an interesting place and so many unique churches, thanks for sharing, Malena ! It was quite surprising for me to find gothic and baroque churches in S.America !

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2008 at 1:27 AM

Great updatings since October, 13! Another interesting page of Colombia with wonderful pics. Beatiful and unusual on appearence churches! Thanks Malena for sharing!

Badges & Stats in Mompós