"Salento and the Cocora Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Salento by MalenaN

Salento Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 391 photos

It is easy to stay many days in Salento. The small town has a relaxed atmosphere and colourful historic houses. The surrounding landscape is beautiful with green rolling hills. Besides strolling around in the town, sit down at a café and watch people or walk up to Alto de la Cruz there are many things to do outside the town. In Cocora Valley there are many nice walking trails and you can visit one of the coffee farms for a guided tour and there is a Butterfly farm (which I did not visit). While you are in Salento you must try the trout which is served at every restaurant and prepared in many different ways. It is quiet during the week but at weekends many visitors come.

Salento is situated 24 km northeast of the department capital Armenia, at an altitude of 1900 metres. It is the oldest town in Quindío and was founded in 1850. In 1865 the town was named Nuevo Salento. The main economical activities in Salento is agriculture, cattle and eco-tourism.

• Last visit to Salento: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 14, 2009

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Ah, now I know why I thought I'd read your Salento page already. I didn't, but have read Mira's. She was inspired by you I think. This all must be absolutely fantastic, for the coffee plantation, the tasting, the palms and Plantation House. I think I really must consider going back to Colombia :-))

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Mar 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Salento is such a lovely place! I think you would like it a lot!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

A lovely page Malena! I really enjoyed the scenery along your walk in the beautiful Cocora valley.
    Love the colourful houses too!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
      Sep 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Thanks for visiting Dee! Salento was a wonderful place to visit!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Great Page, Malena. Your pictures make me want to go there right now.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 1:23 AM

What a lovely page, thanks!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Malena, another excellent page of the type I have come to expect from you! I had never heard of wax palms before - simply beauiful. Judging from your pic, I think you were wise to be careful on the foot-bridge!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Really beautiful pictures of Cocora Valley!! I wasn't lucky with the weather, it was raining every day :( Could not do longer walks around as it was terribly muddy. But loved Salento and ended up staying four days. Such wonderful memories :)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Excellent page about such a remote place! How pleasant it should have been walking along the Cocora Valley... Thanks Malena for sharing!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Great capture of the humming bird & I loved the Cross would make a fantastic Easter Picture = Nice page Malena!!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2008 at 4:06 AM

Malena, I think you are amazing to see and visit all these little towns. What an adventure. The restaurants seem very reasonable and the Plantation House looks like a good place to stay.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Love the colourful fronts of the buildings on the introphoto. Also the hostel sounds very nice to stay at.

Badges & Stats in Salento

Have you been to Salento?

Latest Activity in Salento