"Charming Villa de Leyva" Top 5 Page for this destination Villa de Leiva by MalenaN
Villa de Leiva Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 431 photos
Villa de Leyva is a charming little town where all houses are whitewashed with green or brown details, many with balconies and courtyards. And the streets are cobbled with almost no motor traffic. The town has been able to keep its old charm as it was declared a national monument in 1954 and since then has been well preserved and not many modern buildings have been built. The town was founded already in 1572 and got the name Nuestra Señora de la Villa Santa Maria de Leyva.
When I arrived to Villa de Leyva the church by Plaza Mayor was not white, but before I left it was being painted. Earlier during the year all houses around the plaza had been stripped of their white colour and painted in other colours, just because a movie was filmed there. I’m glad it was back to the white colours when I visited.
Villa de Leyva is situated only a few hours ride from Bogotá and it is a very popular destination to visit during weekends. I arrived on a Sunday afternoon and found the town more crowded than the coming days. Villa de Leyva is situated at an altitude of 1572 metres, so especially in the evenings it can be cold and it is necessary to wear a sweater.
It is easy to spend some relaxing days in Villa de Leyva, walking around, sitting down at the restaurants/cafes watching people, visiting the craft shops or take an excursion. There are also several hiking trails in the surroundings.
When Pastelería Fransesa was closed I looked for another place where I could have breakfast. The first open place I... more travel advice
I came here several times to use the Internet. There are a few computers with fast conection and also telephones where... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Villa de Leiva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A gem not hidden: Villa de Leyva"
- "Charming Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leiva"
- "Villa de Leyva - the most charming colonial town"
- "Colonial Perfection"
- "Enjoying the past"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villa de Leiva
- Hotels in Villa de Leiva
- Transportation in Villa de Leiva
- Nightlife in Villa de Leiva
- Restaurants in Villa de Leiva
- Shopping in Villa de Leiva
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villa de Leiva
- 17 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Villa de Leiva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villa de Leiva
Photos in Villa de LeivaSee All Photos (96)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 156 reviews, 833 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 126 reviews, 618 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 59 reviews, 391 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 34 reviews, 278 photos, 17 travelogues
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues