"Amber" Amer by MalenaN

Amer Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 284 photos

Most people come to Amber (pronounced Amer) to visit the famous Amber Fort. And so did I. Amber is situated 11 km north of Jaipur and can easily be reached by public transportation. The village is in a valley and it is surrounded by hills with battlements. Amber Fort is situated on a hillside and on top of that hill is Jaigarh Fort. I visited during the monsoon period so the hills were green and it looked very beautiful. I have seen on photos though that in the dry season it becomes very yellow and brown.

Besides visiting Amber Fort and Jaigarh it is nice to walk around in the village where there are some old temples, a market and an excellent museum of hand printing.

Amber was made capital of the Jaipur stat by the Kachawaha Rajputs in the 12th century and it continued to be the capital until 1727, when Sawai Jai Singh moved it to Jaipur.

• Last visit to Amer: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 31, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Another interesting page from your India trip - you make me really want to go and see these places myself! The Handprinting museum sounds well worth a visit and naturally the forts too.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I also walked when I visited there but I have a good photo with me an an elefant (I feed him a banana).

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2011 at 2:21 AM

It looks like stormy weather in some of your photos! I hope you didn't get caught in a downpour. The Amber Fort looks like a great place to visit.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Wow there's some amazing forts here. Another fascinating place you have visited Malena.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Thats a wonderful place with a lot of interesting architecture !

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Another excellent page!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2010 at 1:26 AM

Thank you Malena for bringing back memory about Amber! Wonderful views from the opposite side - I didn't see it from there...

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

It's amazing seeing Amber all green during the monsoon season. Take a look at my page to see how brown it is in Feb (my page is still work in progress).

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Nice to see some photos of your surely amazing trip while we wait for your impressions to flow, Malena.

Badges & Stats in Amer