"Hampi - natural beauty and ruins" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampi by MalenaN
Hampi Travel Guide: 300 reviews and 1,214 photos
Hampi is a village situated on the site of the old capital Vijayanagar. It was in 1336 that the Telugu prince Harihararaya made this place the new capital. Vijayanagar grew into one of the largest Hindu empires of India and by the 16th century as much as 500 000 people lived here. It was a major trading centre with merchants coming from countries far away. Vijayanagar was destroyed when a confederacy of Deccan sultanates invaded in 1565, and the city never recovered.
For a tourist Hampi is a wonderful place to visit. Scattered over a large area, in and around Hampi, there are ruins of temples and monuments from the Vijayanagar period. There are more ruins that you will have time to visit in a few days. The ruins of ancient Vijayanagar became a World Heritage Site in 1886 and they can be found mainly in three areas, the Sacred Centre around Hampi Bazaar, the Royal Centre on the way to Kamalapuram and in Anegundi on the other side of Tungabhadra River.
The landscape around Hampi is beautiful with rocky hills with big boulders. There is the Tungabhadra River floating slowly past and green paddy fields, banana plantations and palm grooves. It is a lovely place to walk around in. The atmosphere is very tranquil so if you don’t feel like exploring ruins or taking walks it is a great place to just hang around in and relax for a few days. Hampi is popular both for travellers and Hindu pilgrims.
Usually the whole village around Virupaksha Temple is referred to as Hampi Bazaar, but Hampi Bazaar is also the main... more travel advice
Inside the Royal Enclosure, not far from Mahanavami Dibba, is a beautiful and ornate water tank. The tank was not... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Hampi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hampi - natural beauty and ruins"
- "HAMPI IN KARNATAKA"
- "The Marvellous Ruins of Hampi"
- "On the Rocks-At Hampi!"
- "Vijayanagar - The Forgotten Empire"
- "Past Preserved"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampi
- Hotels in Hampi
- Transportation in Hampi
- Nightlife in Hampi
- Restaurants in Hampi
- Shopping in Hampi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hampi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hampi
- 39 Reviews
- 183 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (249)
Have you been to Hampi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampi
Photos in HampiSee All Photos (183)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 157 reviews, 845 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 133 reviews, 653 photos, 3 travelogues
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 78 reviews, 555 photos, 25 travelogues
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 56 reviews, 465 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Intro, 39 reviews, 327 photos, 21 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Isabela Intro, 43 reviews, 266 photos, 11 travelogues