"Jaipur - The Pink City" Jaipur by MalenaN
Jaipur Travel Guide: 1,058 reviews and 3,178 photos
Jaipur, called both the City of Victory and the Pink City, is the capital of Rajasthan. Many tourists come here every year. Some are doing the Golden Triangle, travelling between Delhi - Agra - Jaipur - Delhi and will not visit other parts of Rajasthan. For others this is the gateway to explore more of Rajasthan.
Jaipur was founded in 1727 by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh, who ruled between 1699 - 1744. He needed a new capital as the former capital, Amber, couldn’t take the growing population and there was a scarcity of water. The Maharaja, together with architects, planed the city in a grid system with nine rectangular city sectors, based on ancient Hindu architecture.
The whole city was painted pink by Sawai Ram Singh in 1853 to welcome the Prince of Wales who was coming on visit. Pink represents hospitality. And since then the buildings in the Old City has maintained the pink colour.
Originally I had not planed to visit Jaipur, but when I had a few days more to spend before flying home from Delhi I went there. I had not read very much about the city before coming but knew there were some interesting sights to see. Unfortunately I missed Jantar Mantar, an astronomical observatory next to the City Palace. The observatory is since 2010 a World Heritage Sight.
It was monsoon season when I visited Jaipur. There were some heavy downpours but between that the weather was quite nice. The rainy months are June - September and the annual rainfall is 650 millimetres. During the summer months (April - July) the average temperature is 30°C. The winter months are dry and colder with an average temperature of 15 - 18°C.
The City Palace in Jaipur is a huge complex of buildings and courtyards. Construction was begun in 1727 by Maharaja... more travel advice
Jal Mahal, the Lake Palace, is standing in the middle of Man Sagar Lake about 6.5 km from Jaipur. It was built in 1799... more travel advice
MalenaN's Related Pages
Jaipur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Jaipur"
- "Jaipur, the pink city of Rajasthan"
- "The Pink City, Rajasthan's sunny capital"
- "Jaipur-The City of Palaces,Forts&Gardens"
- "Jaipur: The Capital of Rajputana !"
- "Jaipur - The Pink City"
- "Jaipur जयपुर"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jaipur
- Hotels in Jaipur
- Transportation in Jaipur
- Nightlife in Jaipur
- Restaurants in Jaipur
- Shopping in Jaipur
- Warnings and Dangers in Jaipur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jaipur
- 15 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (140)
Have you been to Jaipur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jaipur
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 156 reviews, 833 photos, 25 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 126 reviews, 618 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 89 reviews, 372 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla Santa Cruz Intro, 59 reviews, 391 photos, 18 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 171 reviews, 195 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sani Lodge Intro, 32 reviews, 323 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Colombia Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puerto Ayora Intro, 34 reviews, 278 photos, 17 travelogues
- Isla San Cristóbal Intro, 38 reviews, 237 photos, 10 travelogues
- Letterfrack Intro, 18 reviews, 253 photos, 20 travelogues