"Rila Monastery" Rila by keeper7
Rila Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 240 photos
The Rila Monsastery is located in Southwestern Bulgaria, 117 km away from Sofia and 40 km away from Blagoevgrad.
The monk hermit John of Rila who dwelt in a stone cave not far from the monastery’s main complex founded the Rila Monastery in the 10th century. The originator of the Rila foundation, who lived during the reign of the Bulgarian Tsar Peter (927-968), was raised to sainthood by the grateful Christians in sign of homage to his life work. The disciples of John of Rila, who lived at that same time, should also be merited for the creation of the monastery.
This is a picture of the kitchen used by the Monks when they lived in Rila many decades ago. They opened the kitchen the... more travel advice
Behind the Rila Monastery is a small court yard where there are a few small shops & places to eat. All is located next... more travel advice
keeper7's Related Pages
Rila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rila Mountain"
- "RILA WONDERFUL DAY TRIP THROUGH BULGARIAN HILLS"
- "Convincing my friend"
- "Rila Monastery"
- "Nice day trip"
- "Just under the sky... or over everything in BG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rila
- Hotels in Rila
- Transportation in Rila
- Restaurants in Rila
- Warnings and Dangers in Rila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rila
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Rila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rila
Photos in RilaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazanluk Intro, 30 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Island Intro, 21 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 24 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bulgaria Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Plovdiv Intro, 12 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sofia Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination White Plains Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ponce Intro, 16 reviews, 4 photos
- Astoria Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Nesebar Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos, 2 travelogues
No friends yet.