"Kansas City- one of a kind" Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City by asturnut
Kansas City Travel Guide: 706 reviews and 1,612 photos
Like any big city, Kansas City has many faces. But unlike most big cities, you never feel like you're in a big city while you're there. Kansas City is a city of paradoxes. It's both quaint and chic. There's great art, architecture, food and shopping everywhere. But businessmen who speak with a drawl go to work in casual dockers and polo shirts. And hometowny restaurants that serve gravy and biscuits happily coexist with fine restaurants that serve trendy ethnic nouvelle cuisene. Kansas City is one of a kind.
Kansas City has fantastic dining that is not just limited to downtown. In recent years neat little places have sprung up on the periphery and have not gone unnoticed buy local and national culinary critics. I've been in tastebud heaven since I arrived. Great shopping is also not limited to downtown, although I am sure if you want it it can be found somewhere in the humongous Hallmark Crown Center shopping complex. Downtown Kansas City is also a delight to those who love art and architecture. Enjoy the visual feast and don't forget your camera!
I'm sure that the term "urban sprawl" must have been penned in Kansas City. Kansas City has a few skyscrapers but the vertical element of the city is dwarfed by endless horizontal sprawl. The term "Kansas City" actually refers to 4 large communites linked by a maddeningly confusing web of highway: Kansas City, Missouri; Kansas City, Kansas; Kansas City North and North Kansas City.
You can buy a map, but it probably won't help. It's easier to rely upon the hallmark kindness of Missourians to get to your destination. Kansas City is perpetually under construction and maps omit detours and recent "improvements."
You must make a special trip to the Plaza just to photograph and be photographed with the droolers. The Seville Light... more travel advice
The Plaza is the most beautiful and interesting area in Kansas City. It is a gorgeously architectured shopping district... more travel advice
asturnut's Related Pages
Kansas City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Live on Either Side"
- "Kansas City, Missouri"
- "A Classic American City"
- "Kansas City- one of a kind"
- "Cow Town on the Crossroads of the Unique"
- "Up to Date in Kansas City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kansas City
- Hotels in Kansas City
- Transportation in Kansas City
- Nightlife in Kansas City
- Restaurants in Kansas City
- Shopping in Kansas City
- Warnings and Dangers in Kansas City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kansas City
- 24 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Kansas City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kansas City
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: same location listed twice,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Best old-school BBQ-- THE place for BBQ!"
- Wrote a Review My favorite- the Seville Light Fountain about Fountains in Kansas City Favorites
- updated a Kansas City Travelogue "The gorgeous Plaza by day"
- Commented on one of yooperprof's Kansas City travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Philadelphia Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Millville Intro, 31 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vineland Intro, 52 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 24 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asturias Intro, 41 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocean City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Jersey Intro, 15 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bridgeton Intro, 15 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue