"asturnut's Gijon/Xixon Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Gijón by asturnut
Gijón Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 275 photos
Xixon (the name of Gijon in the language of Asturies), is a really cool city. I visited Gijon several times and only got to see a tiny fraction of what the city has to offer. It is said that for most of the year Oviedo (the capital of Asturies) is the most important city in the region, but in the summer, Gijon is the most important city, because everyone flocks there to enjoy what the seaside city has to offer. Xixon is the biggest and most populated city in Asturies. It was founded in 29 C.E. by the Romans, who after a long fight, finally got a foothold in Asturias (Asturias was never really conquered though!) But although the city has a lot of history, it is a very contemporary city.
The thing I enjoyed most about Asturias is it's quaintness, but there is nothing quaint about Xixon. It is a sleek, sophisticated city, with fine dining, entertainment, business conventions, classy boutiques, etc. It's style is a little different than the rest of Asturias, it feels more modern with a bit more of a Mediterranean vibe. Less than 35% of the people who live in Gijon are actually native Asturians, which I guess contributes to the why the city is so distinct. It's a nice place to visit for the day, but I think if you want to see the real Asturias, you should limit your time in trendy Gijon.
Of course, the main reason people from Asturias go to Gijon in the summer is for the ocean & the beaches (and I guess with the hope of meeting someone to have a good time!) People are of course drawn to the sunbathing, boating, sailing, etc Gijon offers. The influx of young people into the city results in a very lively nightlife. Hip clubs are brimming with young party-goers. There are many festivals during the summer during which everyone parties well into the night. The ultimate party in Gijon is during Semana Negra (Black Week.) The city doesn't sleep for a week. There are carnival rides, concerts, cultural activities and of course drinking. I really enjoyed the free concerts. I had a great time and can't wait to go back to catch what I missed.
This is a partial aerial view of the city and beaches in Gijon borrowed from www.hotelhernancortes.es/fotos1
I recently received a brochure entitled "20 razones para visitar Gijon-Xixon" (20 reasons to visit Xixon.) It was a really good summary of the pros of the city. I'll paraphrase & translate the short list of points that struck a chord with me:
# 3 A city of musuems (see my tips)
#6 A good city for shopping
#7 A city of modern sculpture (see my tips)
#14 A city with the flavor of the sea
#17 A city for sports (both nautical and land)
#19 A city with continual parties
#20 A good city for tourists (meaning the city has an effective plan put in place to accomodate and service tourists.)
Official municipal Gijon web site: www.ayto-gijon.es/
Ultimate web source about Gijon: www.infogijon.com/infogijon/index.asp
- Pros:Lots to do-- always something going on!
- Cons:Attracts a lot of tourists
- In a nutshell:A bustling, lively, contemporary shore-town with lots to do.
Gijon is home to many fine examples of modern large scale sculpture. The most famous sculpture called the Elogio del... more travel advice
In Gijon, as in all of Asturias, in addition to castellano, another language called asturianu is spoken. It is the... more travel advice
asturnut's Related Pages
Gijón Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gijón, my home"
- "GIJON- ASTURIAS A NATURAL PARADISE"
- "Gijon (Xixon)"
- "asturnut's Gijon/Xixon Page"
- "Gijon and some little town near there!!"
- "Gijón (Xixon), Asturias"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gijón
- Hotels in Gijón
- Transportation in Gijón
- Nightlife in Gijón
- Restaurants in Gijón
- Warnings and Dangers in Gijón
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gijón
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Gijón?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gijón
Photos in GijónSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Philadelphia Intro, 44 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
- Millville Intro, 31 reviews, 108 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vineland Intro, 52 reviews, 76 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 24 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asturias Intro, 41 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ocean City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- New Jersey Intro, 15 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bridgeton Intro, 15 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spain Intro, 21 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue