"asturnut's Paris Page" Paris by asturnut

Paris Travel Guide: 22,628 reviews and 55,551 photos

Lot's of people fantasize their whole life about Paris but I think the dream is better than the reality. Of all the places I've visited I would have to say Paris is the place I am least likely to return. But don't let my negative comments deter you, I still think Paris is one of those places everyone needs to see for themself. I think that if you can afford to stay and dine at Paris's luxurious locations, then you're in for a treat. But Paris is not a good destination for a budget traveler.

The best part about my trip was my day on Mont Marte and getting to sing inside Notre Dame Cathedral with my choir. I also really liked my trip out of Paris to Versailles. And the Louvre Museum would be worth the trip no matter where it is was located; it really is spectacular! There is no disputing that Paris has lots of notable architectural wonders and sites of interest. The main thing that turned me off from Paris is the arrogance of the people. If I want to be treated rudely I'll stay in NJ and it doesn't cost me anything.

(This page is a work in progress.)

Arc D'Triumph

A visit to the Arc D'Triumph is on the short list of things you must do while in Paris. Of course the Eifel Tower, Louvre, Mont Martre/Sacre Couer, Notre Dame, and walk the Seine are also on that list.

Churches and Museums

The beauty of Paris, in my opinion, is in her museums of course, but also in her countless churches, cathedrals and basilicas. Of course Notre Dame is the most famous and breathtaking of them all!

• Last visit to Paris: Mar 1998
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2004

• Nov 19, 2008 at 5:03 PM

Just a quick note, you don't HAVE to take the funiculaire to get up to Sacre Couer. There are plenty of side streets and long sets of steps to get up there. It's harder work but the steps are very pretty.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 1:26 PM

Well, Joy we certainly have different takes on Paris! It is my favorite city and will go back any time I can. It sounds like you enjoyed it to and you have some great photos. Thanks for visiting my London page. I love it too.

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2004 at 10:29 AM

Great Paris page! We're going to have to back someday, ourselves...

• Jun 28, 2003 at 3:18 AM

Hi Asturnut, I just wanted to say hello and wish you a happy birthday

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2003 at 11:59 PM

Very nice Paris report !! So near and yet so far !!

• Procaccini's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2003 at 7:23 AM

Excellent Paris page! I agree with you with your nightlife tip!

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2003 at 5:45 AM

Ah Joy, partly joyless in Paris. The question "why don't (or won't) Americans do this?" is at the root of Parisian "snobbery." Around so much culture, activity, and beauty, one naturally feels the same deep pride in city and country -- that's all it is.

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2003 at 12:45 PM

Fantastic page! Brings back wonderful memories... I loved Paris!

• Weissdorn's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2003 at 8:26 AM

Very well done page, the antedotes were nice.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2003 at 7:42 AM

Paris is a wonderful city. Sorry you didn't enjoy it very much.

Badges & Stats in Paris