"Information about Pudong New Area, Shanghai, China" Pudong by crewrower

Pudong Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 34 photos

Pudong Introduction

I have lived and worked in Pudong since August 2004. I would be glad to try and answer any questions you may have about Pudong, or about Shanghai in general.

Pudong literally means East of Huangpu. Pudong is bounded by the Huangpu river in the west and the East China Sea in the east. It has an area of 522.8 kmĀ² and a population of approximately 1.5 million people.

Pudong used to be mainly farmland and countryside until 1990, when the Chinese government decided to set up a Special Economic Zone in the district. The western tip of the Pudong district is the new financial hub of the modern China called the Lujiazui Finance and Trade Zone. Several landmark buildings were constructed in Lujiazui during 1990s to raise the image and awareness of the area. These include the Oriental Pearl TV Tower and the Jin Mao Building (the tallest in China). Currently under construction is the Mori Building, located next to the Jin Mao Building, which will be even taller.

Thanks to everyone who has given ratings to my Pudong tips. I don't know if trying to build a page that is about only half of one city is useful or not, so your ratings are good encourage to me to continue building this page! Thanks

I see this tower everyday

I worked in the Jinmao Tower from 2004-2006, and walked by this building on the way to work or lunch, and could see it from my office. Now I'm working in a downtown part of Puxi, Shanghai

• Last visit to Pudong: Jan 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2007

Travelogues (1)

• Jan 23, 2008 at 4:19 AM

Hi Crewrower, I actually live very close to this church (in Tangtown) and bike every weekend. Send me a message if you ever come this way and i can show you other places in the neighbourhood. Check my blog at vansteenblogen.blogspot.com

• Dec 17, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Thanks for the review.. but I think it would be a little more useful if you added the phone number as well. The address isn't too useful if you show it to a cab driver.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Thank you for visiting my Harbin page. I want to go back to China. Perhaps I'll be able to come to Shanghai in 2009. You make Pudong seem more interesting than what I've heard so far. Thank you for sharing.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Glad you've been riding your bike around Pudong. -- Not everybody can say they work in the Jinmao Tower.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 4:15 AM

Hi Chris. Great insights here about your former home. Fascinating facts and good photos, my ratings are definitely with you! Greetings from Dubai :-) Jess

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Good info. here but I would like to read more about your impressions of (your) life in Pudong/Shanghai, and about major sites. The Moon River restaurant would make me homesick.

• Helenbb's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2007 at 12:43 AM

Pu dong should be included in shanghai ? NO? hi, where is the updated information about shanghai.? why i could not find it . tell me :)

• tshiam's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2006 at 9:59 AM

Hi ! sorry i read your codent just today. Things are kind of calmer now in Kinshasa and lets hope it stay that way. Just read your page and liked it.

• CeciliaL's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2006 at 9:27 AM

Good information - also for someone who has just moved to Shanghai (me) I was attracted by the city you live in - Pudong because we usually refer it as Shanghai. I also work in Pudong - Bank of China Tower :-)

• AyurinHiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 7:03 AM

Hi,Chris! Oh, we wish we could have met you during our Shanghai trip last year! Wow, you are working in the Jinmao Tower! (We drank cocktails on the 87th? floor with great scenery)

crewrower Used To Live Here!

crewrower

“The Journey is the Reward”

Badges & Stats in Pudong