Shanghai Things to Do Tips by SWFC_Fan
Shanghai Things to Do: 1,023 reviews and 2,030 photos
The Bund Museum, Shanghai
The Bund Museum is located on the ground floor of the impressive 1907 Signal Tower building towards the southern end of The Bund. I didn’t realise at first that the building housed a museum and in fact it was the rooftop terrace that first attracted my attention to this building, presenting a great opportunity for some panoramic photographs of the Bund, the Hunagpu River and the Pudong skyline. It was only when I reached the entrance that I saw a small sign for the museum.
It is a small and modest museum and entrance is free.
In a dark wood-panelled room, with antique-looking furniture, you will find a host of photographs lining each of the walls. These photographs show the changing face of the Bund throughout the decades and are accompanied by brief text descriptions in both Mandarin and English.
The early photos show a mid-1800s Bund with just a handful of simple low-rise buildings besides the river. By the mid 1900s, the Bund had grown into a much more thriving place and the photos show it to have been a bustling trading post with hundreds of boats docked alongside it and crowds of people in the street.
In truth, there isn’t much to keep you here for very long. There are perhaps 30 or 40 photos and, even if you read the accompanying texts of each and every photo, you’ll be hard pressed to spend more than 15 or 20 minutes browsing.
However, once you have finished enjoying the photographs, climb the wooden spiral staircase and you will find yourself in a cosy little bar and restaurant (called “Atanu” – see separate tip). Take a further flight of steps out onto the rooftop terrace and enjoy a drink while marvelling at the bird’s eye view of the Bund.
A modest museum displaying a small selection of photos of the historic Bund. Worth a passing glance as you make your way upstairs for a drink and a live view of the modern Bund!
Address: 1907 Signal Tower, The Bund
Directions: Located on the ground floor of the 1907 Signal Tower towards the southern end of The Bund.
More Reviews (18)
SWFC_Fan's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 19 Reviews
- 141 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
- Posted in Travel Mellieha Forum "Re: cheaper, more choice if not..."
- Wrote a Review Excellent Japanese curries in Shanghai in Shanghai Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Excellent Japanese curries in Shanghai"
- Commented on one of Helenbb's Shanghai travel pages
- created a Shanghai Travelogue "Yuyuan Gardens and Bazaar, Shanghai"
Photos in ShanghaiSee All Photos (141)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 30 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 29 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 23 reviews, 214 photos, 13 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 34 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao Intro, 20 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 19 reviews, 141 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marrakesh Intro, 21 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nanjing Lu- 56 Reviews, 88 Photos
- The Bund- 80 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Oriental Pearl Tower- 61 Reviews, 143 Photos
- Xin Tian Di- 33 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Yuyuan Garden- 59 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Jade Buddha Temple- 25 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Huangpu River Cruise- 15 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Shanghai Museum- 37 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Jin Mao Tower- 17 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Old Town- 11 Reviews, 22 Photos
See All Shanghai Things to Do