Shanghai Hotel Tips by SWFC_Fan

Shanghai Hotels: 34,515 reviews and 391 photos

A Live Design Hotel, Shanghai - Shanghai

A Live Design Hotel, Shanghai

A Live Design Hotel: Good value modern hotel on Nanjing Road (West)

I stayed at A Live Design Hotel for 7 nights during a visit to Shanghai in May 2008.

I booked this hotel via www.hostelworld.com and paid 299 RMB (22 GBP) per night for a 1 bed private room with en-suite facilities.

Location

A Live Design Hotel is located on Nanjing Road (West). The closest metro station is Nanjing Road (West), which is on metro line #2 and is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. In the opposite direction, People’s Square metro station (which connects lines 1, 2 and 8) is a 10 minute walk away.

Arriving from Pudong International airport, I caught the high speed Maglev train to Longyang Road (50 RMB / 4 GBP: journey time 7 minutes) and then transferred to the metro at Longyang Road station (on line #2). I took the metro from there to Nanjing Road (West), at a cost of just 4 RMB (0.30 GBP), with a journey time of around 15 minutes.

The pedestrianised shopping street of Nanjing Road (East) is a 15 minute walk from the hotel, leading to the riverside Bund (a total walking time of 45 minutes – 1 hour).

The modern shopping malls of Nanjing Road (West) and the bars and restaurants of Tongren Road are a 10-15 minute walk away.

Directly opposite the hotel, you will find the bustling food street of Wujiang Road – a street full of local restaurants selling good value local dishes and take away snacks.

Bedroom

My single room contained a huge king sized bed, a large flat screen TV, coffee and tea making facilities, a telephone, a desk and chair, clothes hangers, wall mirrors, bedside cabinets and lamps. The TV picked up around 50 channels, most of which were Chinese and other Asian channels, with only 1 channel (CCTV9) broadcasting in English. Wi-fi access is available in all rooms.

There was no wardrobe in the room (just a few hangers attached to a shelf on the wall) and there was no fridge or mini-bar.

The room was air-conditioned. The room temperature can be individually set by guests via a control panel next to the door.

The electricity sockets were rather complex looking and seemed to be able to accommodate a variety of different plug types. I used my standard two round pin European adaptor, as the sockets didn’t accommodate British style 3 pin plugs.

The room had a large window, but it looked out onto a section of the hotel’s corridor. The area of the corridor onto which the window looked out was blocked off to guests (by the strategic placing of large flower pots), so you wouldn’t have to worry about people walking by looking into your room. I tended to keep the curtains closed anyway, as I was only ever in my room at night. Despite the lack of natural light in the room, there were lots of bright ceiling lights to ensure that the room was very well lit.

The bathroom was spacious and immaculately clean. It contained a washbasin and a surface for housing toiletries down one side of the room, with the shower in the centre of the room and the toilet and towel rack at the other side of the room. A host of complimentary toiletries were provided, while further items (such as razors, hair products and boxes of condoms) were provided in the bathroom and had price tags attached to them should guests wish to use them.

There was always ample hot water whenever I took a shower, and the maids changed my three towels every day without fail.

Maid service is carried out daily. Beware that the maids start their rounds early, so if you don’t want to be awoken by the ringing of your door bell at 7am, be sure to put the “privacy requested” sign on your door handle before going to bed. I learnt that lesson after being awoken several hours earlier than I wanted to be on my first morning!

General

The hotel is 8 storeys high and has two lifts. The 2nd floor is a large restaurant, the 3rd floor contains the reception desk and the higher floors contain the guest rooms.

The cheapest rooms (like the one that I stayed in) are standard single rooms at 299 RMB per night. There are double rooms, triple rooms, suites and family rooms – with the most expensive rooms costing 699 RMB per night (as at May 2008).

No breakfast is included in the room rate, but I noticed that the in-house restaurant was open early in the morning should you wish to purchase breakfast.

Due to a re-scheduling of my flight time, I arrived at the hotel early on a Monday morning. I had already booked the room from the Sunday night and figured that I might as well leave the booking unchanged so that I could check in straight away when I arrived on the Monday, rather than cancel the first night. The check in staff allowed me to check in immediately, and kindly deducted the cost of the Sunday night from my bill.

At the time of my visit, there was a small amount of building work going on near the entrance to the hotel. It appears that a sandwich shop/café is in the process of being built on the ground floor. The building work was never an inconvenience.

A good value modern hotel, with clean and comfortable rooms and a favourable location close to many sights and good transport links. Recommended!

Address: 696 Nanjing Road (West)

Comparison: about average

Directions: Located 5 minutes walk from Nanjing Road (West) metro station and 10 minutes walk from People's Square metro station.

Other Contact: annie_q6@hotmail.com

Phone: +86-21-62728888

Price: US$40-80

Theme: Hotel

• Updated May 31, 2008

SWFC_Fan

“Next stops: Zadar (April), Murcia (July)”

Badges & Stats in Shanghai

Have you been to Shanghai?

Visiting Shanghai?
Read real reviews about Shanghai Hotels!

Top 10 Shanghai Things to Do