"Utrecht, Netherlands" Utrecht by SWFC_Fan
Utrecht Travel Guide: 633 reviews and 1,541 photos
The city of Utrecht is located a short train ride to the south-east of the capital, Amsterdam and, in my humble opinion, compares favourably to the much-touristed capital.
Utrecht is the main University city of the Netherlands and the huge student population gives the city a vibrant atmosphere. The cafes and bars that line the city’s impressive canals, (in particular, the Oudegracht, or old canal), are reminiscent of those in Amsterdam, but rather than being filled with foreign tourists on stag dos and hen nights, are filled with locals and students.
Utrecht is a major transport hub in the Netherlands, so there are frequent trains to all other cities in the country, many of which are only a short journey away and can be easily visited as a daytrip. I visited both Arnhem and Nijmegen in a day.
Utrecht’s train station is connected to the city’s large shopping mall, the Hoog Catharijne.
An absolute must (unless you suffer from vertigo!) is a trip to the top of the city’s 367ft high Domtoren (Cathedral tower). The panoramic views of Utrecht from the top are breathtaking, but not for the faint-hearted!
The Grand Hotel Karel V is a very impressive 5* hotel with a canalside location, impressive gardens and well-furnished... more travel advice
SWFC_Fan's Related Pages
Utrecht Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Utrecht - superb city to live in and/or to explore"
- "ULTRAJECTUM (as the Romans called it)"
- "As It Turned Out - Well Worth A Visit AND Now Two!"
- "Right in the middle."
- "Back in town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Utrecht
- Hotels in Utrecht
- Transportation in Utrecht
- Nightlife in Utrecht
- Restaurants in Utrecht
- Shopping in Utrecht
- Warnings and Dangers in Utrecht
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Utrecht
- 3 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Utrecht?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Utrecht
Photos in UtrechtSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 30 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 29 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 23 reviews, 214 photos, 13 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 34 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao Intro, 20 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 19 reviews, 141 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marrakesh Intro, 21 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues