Hong Kong Hotel Tips by SWFC_Fan
Hong Kong Hotels: 765 reviews and 859 photos
Bedroom at Man Hing Lung Hotel
In a city as densely populated as Hong Kong, 200HKD (approx 15 GBP) per night does not buy you a lot of room! To be precise, it bought me a cupboard sized room (with a bathroom just big enough to stand in) on the 14th floor of the rather insalubrious Mirador Mansion on Nathan Road.
Mirador Mansion is the slightly less notorious counterpart of the nearby Chungking Mansions complex. Both are huge, run-down block of flats housing small hotels and guest rooms amongst peoples' homes and small workshops. They are renowned for their litter-strewn, cockroach-infested stairwells and for the host of shady characters loitering about outside on Nathan Road.
I booked this hotel over the Internet just one day before flying out to Hong Kong and, having read a whole load of reviews that ran the whole spectrum from "rat-infested hell hole" to "clean, bright rooms in a prime location", I was feeling a little apprehensive.
My arrival at the hotel certainly did little to ease these fears. Having jumped off the A21 Cityflier bus right outside the hotel, I was soon approached by people asking if I needed a room or needed directions. The hotel had emailed me to warn me not to trust anyone on the street outside and not to show them my booking details or they would likely take me to some place else and pretend that that was the hotel I'd booked. In the event I needn't have worried - I was pointed in the direction of the lifts and made my way up to the 14th floor.
Upon exiting the lifts I wondered if I'd come to the right place. Washing hung outside flats, small workshops were operating from tiny premises - what was I doing here?
I found my way to Flat 2, the location of the hotel, and was greeted in the small reception cum family living quarters by the friendly owners. I was shown to my tiny single room; sparsely furnished but relatively clean (aside from a few hairs and the odd squashed mosquito on the wall) and certainly better than it might have been judging by the appearance of the premises' exterior.
Unique Qualities: The room was furnished with a bed, a TV (a handful of local stations and occasional English-language news), a drawer, 2 coat hangers, air-con and a telephone (from which all local calls are free).
This is certainly not a luxurious option, but if you're travelling on a budget and just want somewhere to lay your head at nights, you could do a lot worse than this hotel.
The location of Mirador Mansion is excellent - just a minute's walk from the Tsim Sha Tsui metro station and the bus stop for the airport bus (A21 Cityflier) and 10 minutes walk to the Avenue of Stars promenade and the Star Ferry terminal for ferries across to Hong Kong Island. And of course, it's right in the heart of the busy shopping and eating centre of Nathan Road. The location of the hotel itself (on the 14th floor) is not so great, but it is served by a handful of (usually full) lifts.
The hotel is much cleaner than the building in which it is located. I never used the infamous stairwells, but often saw litter stacked up outside peoples' homes and beside the lifts and one night, returning to my room, there were a couple of rats on the landing. My room was cleaned each day (a process that must have taken all of 1 minute given its tiny size), fresh towels were provided every other day and the bedding was changed once during my 10 night stay.
Stories of shady characters loitering around outside are a little over exaggerated. The ground floor of the building is a shopping arcade and a few touts hang around the entrance - mainly tailors or fake watch sellers, but they're harmless enough and I never felt the least bit unsafe.
The hotel's staff are friendly and are happy to dispense maps, guidebooks and information as well as providing a Visa processing service. Internet access is available from a terminal in reception and you can get free wireless access in your room if you bring a laptop.
As stated above, this is not a luxury hotel - but I am satisfied that I got good value for money and didn't expect any more for the price!
Address: Flat F2, 14/F, Mirador Mansion, 58-62 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Flat number 2 on the 14th floor of Mirador Mansion. Towards the southern end of Nathan Road, 1 minute walk from Tsim Sha Tsui metro station and 10 minutes walk to Star Ferry terminal.
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: (852)23118807 and (852)27220678
More Reviews (21)
- See All Ferries from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island
- Avenue of the Stars
- Great choice of beers in Lan Kwai Fong
SWFC_Fan's Related Pages
Hong Kong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Jewels of Hong Kong"
- "Welcome to my favourite city in the world"
- "Hong Kong: City of Life with Endless Motions!"
- "Keeweechic's Hong Kong SAR"
- "Hong Kong"
- "Hong Kong"
- "Hong Kong"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hong Kong
- Hotels in Hong Kong
- Transportation in Hong Kong
- Nightlife in Hong Kong
- Restaurants in Hong Kong
- Shopping in Hong Kong
- Warnings and Dangers in Hong Kong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hong Kong
- 29 Reviews
- 190 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Hong Kong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hong Kong
Photos in Hong KongSee All Photos (190)
Read real reviews about Hong Kong Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 30 reviews, 242 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 29 reviews, 239 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hikkaduwa Intro, 25 reviews, 228 photos, 14 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 23 reviews, 222 photos, 14 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 34 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao Intro, 23 reviews, 177 photos, 8 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Ilha de São Miguel Intro, 15 reviews, 158 photos, 10 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 140 photos, 3 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 19 reviews, 141 photos, 8 travelogues
- Victoria Peak- 298 Reviews, 445 Photos
- Lantau Island- 231 Reviews, 596 Photos
- Ocean Park- 124 Reviews, 273 Photos
- Central District- 113 Reviews, 171 Photos
- Aberdeen- 59 Reviews, 117 Photos
- Hong Kong Park (Admiralty)- 52 Reviews, 117 Photos
- Nathan Road- 54 Reviews, 82 Photos
- Stanley Market- 33 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Kowloon Park- 41 Reviews, 79 Photos
- Markets- 94 Reviews, 137 Photos
See All Hong Kong Things to Do