"Uppsala, Sweden" Uppsala by SWFC_Fan
Uppsala Travel Guide: 341 reviews and 926 photos
The Swedish city of Uppsala (with a population close to 200,000) makes a convenient daytrip from Stockholm.
Uppsala lies 45 miles to the north of the capital and can be reached by train in about 45 minutes.
I visited Uppsala on a quiet, crisp Sunday afternoon in Spring and found it to be a very pleasant and exceptionally tidy city, with plenty of shops and cafes and a handful of interesting sites.
Arriving in the city by train, the first site that I encountered upon leaving the train station was the imposing Uppsala Slott (castle), standing directly ahead on a hill overlooking the city. Inevitably, I headed off in that direction first. A 10 minute uphill stroll to the castle provided me with an impressive panoramic view of Uppsala.
From there, I headed downhill to the Botanical Gardens. I imagine this is a nice place to visit in the Summer months, but on this cold April day the gardens looked a little lifeless and forlorn.
I then went on to visit the campus of the internationally renowned Uppsala University, which houses a number of impressive historic buildings.
Finally, I took a stroll around the town centre and along the river. Being a Sunday afternoon, there wasn’t a lot open and the streets were mainly quiet.
So, late in the afternoon, I returned to Uppsala’s immaculately clean train station, purchased the obligatory souvenir postcards, and boarded my train back to Stockholm.
SWFC_Fan's Related Pages
Uppsala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My favorite Swedish town"
- "Uppsala by Maline"
- "Historic student city"
- "UPPSALA - An Underrated Unique Scandnavian City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uppsala
- Hotels in Uppsala
- Transportation in Uppsala
- Nightlife in Uppsala
- Restaurants in Uppsala
- Shopping in Uppsala
- Warnings and Dangers in Uppsala
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uppsala
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Uppsala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uppsala
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 30 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 29 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 23 reviews, 214 photos, 13 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 34 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao Intro, 20 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 19 reviews, 141 photos, 8 travelogues
- Marrakesh Intro, 21 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 26 reviews, 127 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Uppsala hotel reviews
- Basic Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2011
- Park Inn Uppsala
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Hotel Uppsala
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Clarion Hotel Gillet
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- First Hotel Linne Uppsala
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2013
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Svava
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013