"Castries, St Lucia" Castries by SWFC_Fan
Castries Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 78 photos
Castries is the capital city of St Lucia and lies on the island’s north-west coast.
I didn’t get to see much of the city as I was on a whistle-stop one day tour of the island, much of which was spent in the southern town of Soufriere.
There is a small airport at Castries (George Charles airport), at which I landed following a 35 minute flight from Barbados. The airport largely handles small planes serving the various inter-island routes – eg between St Lucia and Barbados, Grenada, Dominica and St Vincent. However, a few international flights land here from the US. However, most international flights arrive at the island’s other airport, Hewanorra, at Vieux Fort on the southern tip of the island.
However, if arriving by sea, then Castries is the main port of entry. Cruise ships regularly dock at Castries’ modern Pointe Seraphine terminal.
From what I saw of the city, the guidebook description of “bustling” would certainly appear to be apt. There are a variety of duty free shops in the city, catering for passengers arriving on cruise ships. There are also more traditional shops, and stalls in the streets selling local produce.
So it would be fair to say that Castries is an interesting mix of modern and traditional; English, French and Caribbean influences.
SWFC_Fan's Related Pages
Castries Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Deep Water Port"
- "Castries's focal point"
- "THE ONLY CITY"
- "Castries Police"
- "touristic and not..."
- "Castries, capital of St. Lucia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Castries
- Hotels in Castries
- Transportation in Castries
- Shopping in Castries
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castries
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Castries?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castries
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 30 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 29 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 23 reviews, 214 photos, 13 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 34 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao Intro, 20 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 19 reviews, 141 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marrakesh Intro, 21 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues