"Peng Chau, Hong Kong" Peng Chau Island by SWFC_Fan
Peng Chau Island Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 48 photos
The tiny island of Peng Chau, with an area of just over 1 sq. km, is one of the 260+ islands that make up Hong Kong.
Peng Chau is located about 15km west of Central Hong Kong and just a few kilometers off the eastern coast of Lantau Island.
How to get there?
Ferries leave pier number 6 in Central on Hong Kong Island approximately every hour during the day from early morning to late in the evening.
Outbound, I caught one of the ordinary ferries (journey time 40 minutes, cost 10.5 HKD adults / 5.3 HKD children and OAPs). Returning to Central I caught one of the fast ferries (cutting the journey time down to 25 minutes for a cost of 21 HKD).
Peng Chau is also connected with Mui Wo on Lantau Island, about 3 km away. In fact, the ferry from Central carries on to Mui Wo after stopping at Peng Chau.
Prices correct at January 2006: (1 GBP = 13.7 HKD)
A few recommendations of things to see and do based on my 1 day on the island:
Panoramic views from Finger Hill
For me, the highlight of Peng Chau island was walking up to the top of Finger Hill and sitting in the Fung Ping Pavilion looking out over the island and out to sea! Follow the signs for Finger Hill, and make the steep climb up the path to the summit - it is well worth the effort! There are excellent views over Tung Wan Beach on the east coast (see main intro picture), over the island's green interior and across to neighbouring islands. You can also watch the dozens of ferries constantly passing by the island
There are a handful of Chinese Temples on the island, including:
Tin Hau Temple - a 200 year old temple containing an 8ft long whale bone (which was donated by fishermen centuries ago and gives blessings to the locals) and standing adjacent to a Qing Dynasty stone tablet (which sounds a lot more impressive than it really is, resembling as it does an old gravestone!);
Golden Flower Shrine - a small, colourful temple that was built with funds from the Peng Chau Rural Committee and an actor, Kwan Tak Hing. Locals on the island believe that worshiping the Golden Flower will allow them to choose the gender of their unborn babies!
Lung Mo Temple - a temple near the island's main beach which dates back only to the 1970s. It is believed that touching the temple’s "dragon bed" will bring good luck to the local population!
There is a long sandy beach called Tung Wan Beach on the island's east coast. It looks impressive from the top of Finger Hill, but closer inspection shows that it isn't particularly clean and not as impressive as some of the beaches on Cheung Chau and Lamma Island.
Shopping and dining in the main village
The small main village of the island contains a number of narrow backstreets with small shops selling groceries, Chinese decorations, dried fish, childrens' toys, clothing as well as a number of small unpretentious cafes and seafood restaurants. It is well worth exploring these streets for a while and soaking up the local atmosphere.
A few observations from my 1 day on Peng Chau:
There isn't a great deal else to say about this tiny island, but in summary:
* Visit Peng Chau as a welcome respite from the crowded metropolis of Hong Kong Island;
* Don't miss the view from the top of Finger Hill. It is a steep (but scenic) climb to the top, but well worth the effort!;
* If you're looking for great beaches or fresh seafood restaurants, you'd be better off visiting the larger islands of Cheung Chau and especially Lamma Island;
* A visit to Peng Chau is a good way to spend half a day and to get some fresh air and some exercise!
- Pros:Great views, few crowds and plenty of fresh air.
- Cons:Only half a day's entertainment.
- In a nutshell:A welcome respite from hectic Hong Kong!
Ferries leave for Peng Chau from pier number 6 in Central on Hong Kong Island approximately every hour during the day... more travel advice
SWFC_Fan's Related Pages
Peng Chau Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Peng Chau Island
- Transportation in Peng Chau Island
- Restaurants in Peng Chau Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peng Chau Island
- 2 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Peng Chau Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peng Chau Island
Photos in Peng Chau IslandSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination T'bilisi Intro, 30 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Intro, 29 reviews, 215 photos, 11 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 23 reviews, 214 photos, 13 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 34 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 29 reviews, 156 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bilbao Intro, 20 reviews, 146 photos, 6 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 19 reviews, 141 photos, 8 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 27 reviews, 132 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marrakesh Intro, 21 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 122 photos, 5 travelogues