"Sri Lanka - A MOST Wonderful Piece of Earth" Sri Lanka by Sunchild
Sri Lanka Travel Guide: 3,609 reviews and 8,335 photos
TSUNAMI end of 2004.
Let me express how horrified and sad we still are due to what has happened to Sri Lanka (and the other countries) by this Tsunami end of 2004.
Our thoughts and prayers are still with all those, who died and those who might still suffer from the loss!
We still cannot imagine, that all the places we went to during our 2nd round trip at the south-east, east and south-west coast in Nov/Dec. 04 had cruelly been destroyed/ vanished.
Before the background of this horrible disaster the following pages seem to become totally senceless - but - at the same time - are not as those, who stayed luckily alive have prooved that they did not give up and recovered a little and thus slowly rebuilt their "paradise" - a few people probably having had the luck to receive some help from the rest of the world.
And I would strongly like to appeal to travelers from all over the world, to PLEASE NOT STAY AWAY from all these lovely parts of this wonderful piece of world - as tourismn is definitely their strongest/main income source.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
(Please see my travelogues to follow our trip/s and for more pics )
Years ago, when we could not afford to travel the way we do now, I asked a local travel agent, in whose office I was helping out sometimes, what country he would advise us to go to as first choice, after him having seen all this beautiful countries over the world. His answer was ... Sri Lanka - and that is more than 20 years ago!
Since then, Sri Lanca always was on our "Wish-List". Due to the difficult political situation in this country over the past years though, we had to push our intention from one year to the other.
Well, we actually made it in Febr. 2003 and only just lately in November/December 2004. And our expectations were more than fulfilled!
Once again, I was lucky to book via a small travel organizer in Germany (Kumara Reisen) specialising on Sri Lanka and Maldives. Again this proofed to be a very good decisions, indeed.
Sri Lanka offeres everything a traveller's heart desires: Grandiose nature, rich culture, lovely beaches and palm trees, blue skies, warm and clear waters, kind and very friendly people, delicious spicey food and last but not least - Ajurveda treatments - these wonderful oily treatments, after which you feel like being newly born .... (me dreaming away again :-) !
This is a sunset picture taken from our balcony in Serendip Hotel in Nov. 04.
Something you should definitely not miss on your round trip!
- Pros:Sri Lanka has everything a traveller's heart desires!
- Cons:Due to difficult political situation and lacking tourists in the pasts, some of the hotels left out the urgently needed "refreshing renovation"! But I am positive, this is going to change soon!
- In a nutshell:Sri Lanka - An absolute MUST on your travelling list!
Definitely not what one normally expects from night life ... but very interesting! :-) more travel advice
These caves are really interesting to visit - although a little sweatening to get up there (maaaany stairs). The temple... more travel advice
Written Feb 14, 2004
Round Trip? - Well, just follow the travelogues!
Written Feb 14, 2004
Written Feb 15, 2004
No.3 - Sigirya, Kandy hotel and Botanic Garden
Written Feb 22, 2004
No.4 - Botanic Garden,Kandy+Elephants Orphanage
Sunchild's Related Pages
Sri Lanka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ayu Bowan Sri Lanka"
- "SRI LANKA: Tear Drop of the Indian Ocean."
- "India's tear"
- "Sri Lanka: An Island Full of Treasures"
- "CEYLON.SUMPTUOUSLY TROPICAL."
- "Sri Lanka - A wonderful Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sri Lanka
- Hotels in Sri Lanka
- Transportation in Sri Lanka
- Nightlife in Sri Lanka
- Restaurants in Sri Lanka
- Shopping in Sri Lanka
- Warnings and Dangers in Sri Lanka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sri Lanka
- 31 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Sri Lanka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sri Lanka
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lovely Landscapes, Beaches and a lot more!"
- Wrote a Review Nighttime Serenades in Sri Lanka Nightlife
- updated a Sri Lanka Travel Page "Sri Lanka - A MOST Wonderful Piece of Earth"
- Posted in Travel Thailand Forum "Re: Re: re thai airlines,..."
- Commented on one of suemac's Sri Lanka travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Sri Lanka Intro, 31 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seychelles Intro, 18 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos
- Norway Intro, 8 reviews, 5 photos
- Thailand Intro, 7 reviews, 1 photo
- Singapore Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Lanta Intro, 5 reviews, 1 photo
- Hannover Intro, 4 reviews
- Maldives Intro, 3 reviews
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Top Sri Lanka hotels
- Colombo Hotels
- 348 Reviews - 614 Photos
- Kandy Hotels
- 283 Reviews - 687 Photos
- Nuwara Eliya Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 201 Photos
- Negombo Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 173 Photos
- Galle Hotels
- 70 Reviews - 212 Photos
- Trincomalee Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 54 Photos
- Bentota Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 132 Photos
- Hikkaduwa Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 71 Photos
- Aluthgama Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Peradeniya Hotels
- 1 Review - 11 Photos
- Anuradhapura Hotels
- 94 Reviews - 269 Photos
- Wadduwa Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Panadura Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Galkissa Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Sigiriya Hotels
- 103 Reviews - 266 Photos