"Barèges, on the other side of La Mongie!" Barèges by VincentJJ
Barèges Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 12 photos
View from one of the many restau. places
Barèges is an old spa town which dates back to the 14th century. The village is built mainly from local stone and sits in a narrow valley on the edge of the protected mountains of the Neouvielle Reserve and the Parc National des Pyrenees. Hunting and new building have been banned in these areas so the mountains remain unaffected by the kind of mass tourism that has spoiled many ski resorts in the Alps.
Long before skiing became popular in the 1900s, Napoleon III built a military hospital in Barèges so his wounded troops could benefit from the thermal waters. The Thermes are still open today and offer the weary skier warm baths, showers, jacuzzis, saunas, thermal showers and massage.
Barèges remains a small and friendly place. Life centres around the one main street where you'll find a 400 year old church, a little cinema, one good supermarket and a handful of bars. Nightlife is low key and, although there is one nightclub, Barèges is a fairly quiet place. There is a good choice of one and two star hotels serving traditional French food and a range of pleasant houses and apartments for people who prefer to self cater. Our brochure shows a small selection of accommodation but we can offer lots of alternatives..
4 those who are afraid to be cold:
GO AND TRY A SKIHOLIDAY ONCE IN YOUR LIFETIME!!!
Your'e not made of sugar!
- Pros:Clean air, everything in your own tempo!
- Cons:Watch out for the beginners!
- In a nutshell:GO AND TRY SKI! IT'S SUPER!!! (It's NOT COLD!!)
VincentJJ's Related Pages
Barèges Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barèges, on the other side of La Mongie!"
- "LA MONGIE _ BARèGES Pyrenees."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barèges
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Barèges?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barèges
Top 10 Pages
- The Hague Intro, 28 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delft Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 4 travelogues
- Marbella Intro, 3 reviews, 29 photos, 3 travelogues
- Leidschendam Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bordeaux Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Metz Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rovaniemi Intro, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint-Émilion Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos