"Helsinki, the daughter of the Baltic" Helsinki by elcolibri
Helsinki Travel Guide: 3,705 reviews and 7,549 photos
Helsinki was founded in 1550 and became the capital of Finland in 1812. Finland belonged to Swesen for over 700 years till 1809 when became a Grand duchy of Russia, finally declared herself an independent republic in 1917. All this historical events influded in Finland and Helsinki architecture. Tsar Nicholas I who wanted to make Helsinki a presentable gate of St Petersburg approved a plan to built the centre of Helsinki with great buildings around Senate square designed by the german architect Carl L. Engel. It was finished in the middle of XIX Century.
Helsinki has a lot of fountains and esculptures as this in Esplanade bulevard more travel advice
The Museum of Contemporary Art is right in the centre of Helsinki between Mannerhein monument and Main Post Office. It... more travel advice
elcolibri's Related Pages
Helsinki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home"
- "Helsinki - bears, skaters and religion"
- "Where Slavic charm & Nordic simplicity meet"
- "19/1 Just returned from Helsinki"
- "Helsinki at your service"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsinki
- Hotels in Helsinki
- Transportation in Helsinki
- Nightlife in Helsinki
- Restaurants in Helsinki
- Shopping in Helsinki
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsinki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsinki
- 20 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Helsinki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsinki
Photos in HelsinkiSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Tenerife Intro, 85 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 63 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 47 reviews, 48 photos
- Oslo Intro, 27 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belfast Intro, 29 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 22 reviews, 23 photos
- Europe Intro, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos