"WORLD OF ITS OWN (Kyoto,Nara,Osaka,Himeji & Kobe)" Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto by bkoon
Kyoto Travel Guide: 1,948 reviews and 6,217 photos
Kyoto (Kiyomizu Dera Temple and Gion Area)
Kyoto (Sanjusangendo Temple, Heian Shrine, Nanjenji, Ginkajuji Temple and Karawamachi Area)
Kyoto (Kinkajuji Temple, Ryoanji Temple, Kyoto Modern Art Museum, and Gion Corner Cultural Performance)
Himeji (Himeji Castle); Kobe (Kobe Port Tower and Chinatown)
Kyoto (Fushimi Inari Temple); Nara (Nara Park, Kofukuji Temple, Todaiji, and Kasuga Taisha)
Osaka (Umeda, and Namba's Dotonbori Bridge Area)
Home Sweet Home
Travel Mates : Younger Sister, Mummy and Auntie Christina
Duration : 1 Week (13 - 20 May 04)
Satisfaction Level of Trip : Extremely Satisfied
Salient Impression of Japan : Extremely Helpful Japanese People
Mode of Transport : Public Bus and Railways
A country where I will go back again for 3 main things, the beautiful sights, the unique culture and of course, the people. This was my first trip to Japan and I briefly explored the Kansai Area. Been to Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kobe and Himeji and all these places done in a week. Incredible. It was spring time when I was there. Nope, I did not get to see the Cherry Blossom as I was there in May, not April. Missed it this time.
There were some observations which I made when I was there. How should I start? First and foremost, the people, the Japanese. Compassion, being considerate and sincere, helpfulness, respect another human being, etc are all in their culture. I shall assume that most of them are gracious human beings. I am quoting a few examples to illustrate my observations. There was once when I was trying to figure out the map which I got at the Umeda, Osaka, a girl who happened to walk pass stopped and asked whether I needed assistance then. Another time, when I asked for directions, the man whom I approached, instead of directing where I should go, he brought me and my travel mates there personally and he had to turned back to where he was heading after that. There were so many of such occasions.
The birth place of "good customer service" must be Japan. There are so much talk about the "FISH" philosophy, a great story about a fish market in Seattle and how their customers are attracted to the fish market. Well, those people must have learnt it from the Japanese as everybody do that in Japan, offering the best service with sincerity and concern to their customers and guests.
TO ME, JAPAN IS ABOUT ...
Sushi. Udon. Soba. Green tea. Geisha. Mobile phones. Uniformed students. Temples. Shrines. Zen gardens. Nice hairstyles. Bullet trains. Okinawa. Shabu-Shabu. Ryokan. Tatami mats. Airport on reclaimed land. Animation. Comics. Cartoons. Yoshitomo Nara. Castles. Cherry Blossom. Packaging. Baseball. J-League. Astro Boy. Hot baths. Kimono. Yukata. Pocky. Glico Boy. Pachinko.
The Terrible Thing Which Happened During My Trip
Eager to take good pictures in Japan, I brought some 20 rolls of films for my SLR camera (non-digital). My camera started to give me problems and it did not work anymore on the 4th day of my trip. (It is still not working.) Sigh. I had my digital compact camera with me and I thought it was a consolation. Guess what? I brought the wrong adaptor and I could not charge my camera battery and it took me quite some time before I found the adaptor (extremely costly at more than 1100 Yen at Isetan).
What a mishap!
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING VTers
AyurinHiro (Ayuri and her hubby)
Those who replied in the forum.
Japan Travel Guide (Comprehensive)
Kyoto Travel Guide (Comprehensive)
Kyoto Visitors' Guide
Kyoto Shimbun News
Information on Himeji Castle
Imperial Household Agency
Information on West Japan Railway - Including Kansai Area Pass
Kansai Thru Pass
Kyoto City Bus and Subway Guide
Japan Hotel Network
Japanese Inn Group
Tour Club Hostel & Ryokan
- Pros:Sincere and considerate people, beautiful places, wonderful food, ...
- In a nutshell:Worth Going Back Again and Again!
During this first trip to Japan, I did not manage to cover all the sights. There are so many other places which I can go... more travel advice
The Gion Area is a nice place where one can see well-restored traditional Japanese architecture. Most of them are... more travel advice
- Just to Take Note - Credit Cards
- See All Green Tea Ice-Cream
- See All To and Fro Kansai International Airport
- See All Kobe - City by the Coast
- See All Staying in a Ryokan
bkoon's Related Pages
Kyoto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kyoto is a must see for every tourist in Japan!"
- "Cultural Capital Kyoto"
- "WORLD OF ITS OWN (Kyoto,Nara,Osaka,Himeji & Kobe)"
- "KYOTO - THE HEART OF JAPAN"
- "City of two thousand shrines"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kyoto
- Hotels in Kyoto
- Transportation in Kyoto
- Nightlife in Kyoto
- Restaurants in Kyoto
- Shopping in Kyoto
- Warnings and Dangers in Kyoto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kyoto
- 54 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Kyoto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kyoto
- Posted in Travel Bali Forum "Re: Are there any villa-style..."
- updated a Kyoto Travelogue "JAPANESE WEDDING COUPLE & JAPANESE ATTIRE"
- Wrote a Review Just to Take Note - Credit Cards about Credit Cards in Kyoto Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "So Many Other Sights"
- Commented on one of Sharrie's Kyoto travel pages
Photos in KyotoSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 132 reviews, 160 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 142 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 103 reviews, 119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 54 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 37 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukit Fraser Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues