"WORLD OF ITS OWN (Kyoto,Nara,Osaka,Himeji & Kobe)" Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto by bkoon

Kyoto Travel Guide: 1,915 reviews and 6,117 photos

OUR ITINERARY & PLACES COVERED

I*T*I*N*E*R*A*R*Y

DAY 1
Kyoto (Kiyomizu Dera Temple and Gion Area)

DAY 2
Kyoto (Sanjusangendo Temple, Heian Shrine, Nanjenji, Ginkajuji Temple and Karawamachi Area)

DAY 3
Kyoto (Kinkajuji Temple, Ryoanji Temple, Kyoto Modern Art Museum, and Gion Corner Cultural Performance)

DAY 4
Himeji (Himeji Castle); Kobe (Kobe Port Tower and Chinatown)

DAY 5
Kyoto (Fushimi Inari Temple); Nara (Nara Park, Kofukuji Temple, Todaiji, and Kasuga Taisha)

DAY 6
Osaka (Umeda, and Namba's Dotonbori Bridge Area)

DAY 7
Home Sweet Home

About This First Trip to Japan

Travel Mates : Younger Sister, Mummy and Auntie Christina
Duration : 1 Week (13 - 20 May 04)
Satisfaction Level of Trip : Extremely Satisfied
Salient Impression of Japan : Extremely Helpful Japanese People
Mode of Transport : Public Bus and Railways

I.M.P.R.E.S.S.I.O.N.S.

A country where I will go back again for 3 main things, the beautiful sights, the unique culture and of course, the people. This was my first trip to Japan and I briefly explored the Kansai Area. Been to Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kobe and Himeji and all these places done in a week. Incredible. It was spring time when I was there. Nope, I did not get to see the Cherry Blossom as I was there in May, not April. Missed it this time.

There were some observations which I made when I was there. How should I start? First and foremost, the people, the Japanese. Compassion, being considerate and sincere, helpfulness, respect another human being, etc are all in their culture. I shall assume that most of them are gracious human beings. I am quoting a few examples to illustrate my observations. There was once when I was trying to figure out the map which I got at the Umeda, Osaka, a girl who happened to walk pass stopped and asked whether I needed assistance then. Another time, when I asked for directions, the man whom I approached, instead of directing where I should go, he brought me and my travel mates there personally and he had to turned back to where he was heading after that. There were so many of such occasions.

The birth place of "good customer service" must be Japan. There are so much talk about the "FISH" philosophy, a great story about a fish market in Seattle and how their customers are attracted to the fish market. Well, those people must have learnt it from the Japanese as everybody do that in Japan, offering the best service with sincerity and concern to their customers and guests.

TO ME, JAPAN IS ABOUT ...

Sushi. Udon. Soba. Green tea. Geisha. Mobile phones. Uniformed students. Temples. Shrines. Zen gardens. Nice hairstyles. Bullet trains. Okinawa. Shabu-Shabu. Ryokan. Tatami mats. Airport on reclaimed land. Animation. Comics. Cartoons. Yoshitomo Nara. Castles. Cherry Blossom. Packaging. Baseball. J-League. Astro Boy. Hot baths. Kimono. Yukata. Pocky. Glico Boy. Pachinko.

The Terrible Thing Which Happened During My Trip

Eager to take good pictures in Japan, I brought some 20 rolls of films for my SLR camera (non-digital). My camera started to give me problems and it did not work anymore on the 4th day of my trip. (It is still not working.) Sigh. I had my digital compact camera with me and I thought it was a consolation. Guess what? I brought the wrong adaptor and I could not charge my camera battery and it took me quite some time before I found the adaptor (extremely costly at more than 1100 Yen at Isetan).

What a mishap!

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

SPECIAL THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING VTers
A2002 (Lina)
AyurinHiro (Ayuri and her hubby)
heywinks (Sonia)
colleenc66 (Colleen)
Those who replied in the forum.

• Pros:Sincere and considerate people, beautiful places, wonderful food, ...
  • Cons:Expensive!!!
  • In a nutshell:Worth Going Back Again and Again!
  • Last visit to Kyoto: May 2004

• SallyM's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2011 at 5:31 AM

Nice pages!

• Jan 18, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Rather than getting your yen in your local bank or exchange stn, use your credit card at any of Kyoto's post office...best rates. However, notify your bank that you will be using your card in Japan.

• Aug 1, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Beautiful photos and good tips

• starstudio's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2007 at 11:54 AM

very nice Tokyo tips. all the best for your b-day!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2007 at 8:45 AM

Hi Interesting Kyoto photos. Hope you enjoyed there. Greetings

• chodearm's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Really great photos here.

• akikonomu's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2007 at 4:07 AM

Yes, I think they work on a totally different electrical system, we brought an adaptor, but wrong one (duh...). Their phones are also on 3G system (like Korea, where I brought my GSM phone - duh again...)

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Fantastic, Thankyou for sharing your tips. I hope to go to Japan soon.

• Sakura_Kobe's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 10:13 PM

Hello, I am glad you had a good impression on Japanese people. Next time you will visit Kobe, please let me know. Happy treavel. Sakura_Kobe

bkoon

“Trust the process... Trust your intuition... Thoughts become things...”

Badges & Stats in Kyoto