East Timor Local Custom Tips by bkoon Top 5 Page for this destination
East Timor Local Customs: 9 reviews and 7 photos
It is best to know some Tetum. The government has adopted the Portuguese language recently as the official language while Tetum remains the national language.
Tetum is undergoing development now as it used to be a very much spoken language and hence, much development on written Tetum needs to be done.
P.S.: I shall be putting in some common Tetum phrases and words which are often used soon.
A Lost Look
This is a picture of a typical Dili woman. When I was taking her picture, she was smiling away, very shy yet curious. The Dili-dwellers love eating betelnut as I saw many of them eating, including this woman.
What they do during a lazy afternoon.
As you walk along the waterfront, you will get to see fruits stalls selling all kinds of local fruits like bananas, mangoes, papayas, etc. During the lazy afternoon period, you will see the womenfolk who are manning the stalls helping one another to pick out hair lice.
More Reviews (34)
- Do Not Walk Alone in Dili
- Traditional Wodden Goggles
- See All Tua Koin - And the Loo
- See All The Only Eco-Village Around
- Must bring these if you are going to...
bkoon's Related Pages
East Timor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "T I M O R - L E S T E : The Unexplored Land"
- "A nation under construction"
- "Yes, Tourists do come to Timor"
- " Timor trouble soon over??? "
- "TIMOR LESTE"
- "Beautiful and Rugged"
- "East Timor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in East Timor
- Hotels in East Timor
- Transportation in East Timor
- Nightlife in East Timor
- Restaurants in East Timor
- Shopping in East Timor
- Warnings and Dangers in East Timor
- See All...
Explore the World
- Trona Hotels
- Vlasotince Hotels
- Wonogiri Hotels
- Karjat Hotels
- Rapid City
Badges & Stats in East Timor
- 37 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to East Timor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in East Timor
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 132 reviews, 160 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 142 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 103 reviews, 119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 54 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 37 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukit Fraser Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues