"Up the AWESOME Mountains, Down the GLORIOUS Ocean" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah by bkoon
State of Sabah Travel Guide: 2,679 reviews and 6,810 photos
Accompanied By : 3 girl friends (Chantel, Meng and Wee Wee)
Duration : 25 - 31 March 2004
Destinations : Mount Kinabalu, Kota Kinabalu, Kota Belud, Kampung Bavanggazo, Kudat, Manukan Island
(There are so much to do and see in Sabah. My page may not be comprehensive enough. So, if you need more details on certain areas or places in Sabah, let me know and I can help you find out.)
Day 1 : Arrival in KK. Went up to the foot of the mountain at the KK Park HQ. Stayed in the hostel there.
Day 2 : Started our trek in the morning. We took the Mesilau Trail. Reached Laban Rata in the late afternoon. Overnight in Laban Rata.
Day 3 : As early as 2.30am, we were on our way up to the Summit. Reached summit just in time for the beautiful sunrise. Went back down to KK Park HQ via the Timphohon Trail. Overnight at KK Park HQ hostel.
Day 4 : Took a taxi to Bavanggazo Longhouse but first went to Kota Belud and Kudat for a visit. Homestay at Bavanggazo Longhouse.
Day 5 : Left Bavanggazo and arrived at KK to go to the islands (Tengku Abdul Rahman National Park). Overnight at Manukan Island.
Day 6 : Explored the KK Town, had lotsa food and shopping. Overnight in KK Town.
Day 7 : Home Sweet Home
I conquered Mount Kinabalu on 27 March 2004. It was not an easy hike. Luckily I trained a bit before the hike. However, it was still tedious and physically demanding. Hiked for hours with short rest-stops.
"TAMU" - THE SUNDAY MARKET
There are "tamus", Sunday Markets in most of the towns in Sabah. I chose to visit the one at Kota Belud. Kota Belud is primarily a Bajau settlement. The Bajaus are one of the 30 over minority groups in Sabah. There are good in handling horses.
THE CITY OF KOTA KINABALU
It was hot and humid when I was there. The weather was almost unbearable. Kota Kinabalu, KK in short, is a nice place for shopping, eating and some visiting. Getting the taste of the seafood from the ocean at Sabah is a must-do if you are there. Walking along the waterfront at Sinsuran in the evening was a memorable experience.
KAMPUNG BAVANGGAZO - RUNGUS COMMUNITY
I stayed in the Rungus Longhouse. It was fun. Living among the locals was interesting.
Situated at the northern tip of Sabah. A smallish little town. Nice view of the sea from the Promoenade. Seafood available at the newly contructed Promenade. It becomes a dead town on Sundays.
One of the islands in the Tengku Abdul Rahman National Marine Park. Manukan is rather toursity with lotsa day-trippers. Chalet-type accommodation available. Island-hopping is possible too. Well, basking under the sun at the beach would be marvellous.
When we were in the Kota Kinabalu town, a TV Travel Show Director approached us to be interviewed. We were very shy but we still did it. However, one of my friends just refused to be filmed. Anyway, we had a great time. That guy followed us, filming along the way, for the subsequent 3 hours (we shopped, ate, walked around, etc). It was such an unusual encounter. It was FUN though.
- Pros:Awesome mountains and fantstic oceans
- Cons:Cold up in the mountains and hot hot hot in the town
- In a nutshell:Still exploring
Swimming and snorkelling anyone? If you are keen in these activities while visiting Koata Kinabalu, make a trip down to... more travel advice
Rows of food stalls for you to choose from. I mean, food stalls selling fresh BBQ seafood like fishes and squids. Just... more travel advice
bkoon's Related Pages
State of Sabah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful time on Sabah"
- "Up the AWESOME Mountains, Down the GLORIOUS Ocean"
- "Sabah - Malaysian Borneo"
- "SABAH - Land of SO MUCH EXPLORATION :)"
- "Spirited Sabah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Sabah
- Hotels in State of Sabah
- Transportation in State of Sabah
- Nightlife in State of Sabah
- Restaurants in State of Sabah
- Shopping in State of Sabah
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Sabah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Sabah
- 41 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 56 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to State of Sabah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Sabah
- Posted in Travel Bali Forum "Re: Are there any villa-style..."
- updated a State of Sabah Travel Page "Up the AWESOME Mountains, Down the GLORIOUS Ocean"
- Commented on one of munapong's State of Sabah travel pages
- Wrote a Review What you need for your Mount Kinabalu Climb in State of Sabah What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Up the AWESOME Mountains, Down the GLORIOUS Ocean"
Photos in State of SabahSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 132 reviews, 160 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 142 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 103 reviews, 119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 54 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 37 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukit Fraser Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues