"PULAU PERHENTIAN BESAR - EAST COAST OF MALAYSIA" Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Perhentian Besar by bkoon
Pulau Perhentian Besar Travel Guide: 218 reviews and 537 photos
I finally went to Perhentian Islands, off the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia in June 2004. The trip came about when my friend was planning for a diving trip. It was an enjoyable trip, especially diving at Tokon Laut - Highly Recommended and snorkelling at the beach area.
5 of us drove up in my family's Prado Jeep. It was all the way to and fro Singapore. The journey was pretty long and there was no highway like the North-South Highway. I remembered the tedious trip up to Kota Bahru but the journey back was incredibly fun, stopping along the way and tasting different types of food.
Special thanks to urchinn - Selina for her tips. Also to kenmerk - Ken for his generous tips too.
Pulau Perhentian is located in the South China Sea 25 km from the coast of Kuala Besut. It consists of two islands, Pulau Perhentian Besar and Pulau Perhentian Kecil. Both islands are surrounded by beautiful palm-fringed sandy beaches and crystal-clear turquoise-blue sea.
Perhentian Besar is the bigger one of the two islands (Besar means big in Malay, kecil means small). The accommodation is distributed over three very nice beaches. The Teluk Pauh in the north in front of the Perhentian Island Resort, the main beach with most of the resorts at the west coast and Teluk Dalam on the island's south-east coast.
The best beach on the islands is Teluk Pauh, a beautiful half-moon bay with white powdery sand and water as clear as in a swimming pool. There are good coral around the points on either side. Here you can snorkel with some turtles, black tip reef sharks and hundreds of reef fish.
At the western end of the bay a wooden footbridge leads over a few rocks to Coral View Island Resort's small beach, which consists almost only out of broken up coral pieces. The main beach of the island starts at the resort's western side and stretches over 1 km to Abdul's Chalet only interrupted by some rocky headlands. The beach is fine sandy with scattered coral pieces and fringed by many coconut palms.
Teluk Dalam in the south of the island is a beautiful wide curved bay with a white fine sandy beach. The water is quite shallow here, the corals mostly destroyed. You can laze away in hammocks under shady casuarinas. Here it is in contrast to the other beaches still quite peaceful.
- Pros:Beautiful Island
- In a nutshell:Go! Go! Go! Highly Recommended!
Along the beach on Perhentian Besar, there are many accommodation and most of them have a restaurant or cafe for you to... more travel advice
I have put information on Diving under Sports Tips. Do consider diving at Perhentian if you are already a diver or you... more travel advice
- See All Taxi from Jerteh to Kuala Besut Jetty
- See All Bathing Suits
- Tiny Jellyfishes
bkoon's Related Pages
Pulau Perhentian Besar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's HEAVEN!"
- "PULAU PERHENTIAN BESAR - EAST COAST OF MALAYSIA"
- "Béseme en Besar"
- "Jennifer's search for Solitude"
- "Tropical Paradise discovered"
- "A Place to Get Away"
- "Pulau Perhentian Besar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Hotels in Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Transportation in Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Nightlife in Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Restaurants in Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Shopping in Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Perhentian Besar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Perhentian Besar
- 20 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Pulau Perhentian Besar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Posted in Travel Bali Forum "Re: Are there any villa-style..."
- updated a Pulau Perhentian Besar Travelogue "Pictures of Perhentian"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pictures of Perhentian"
- Wrote a Review Taxi from Jerteh to Kuala Besut Jetty in Pulau Perhentian Besar Transportation
- Commented on one of dragontml's Pulau Perhentian Besar travel pages
Photos in Pulau Perhentian BesarSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 132 reviews, 160 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 142 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 103 reviews, 119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 54 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 37 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukit Fraser Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues