"~~~~PULAU REDANG~~~" Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Redang by bkoon
Pulau Redang Travel Guide: 277 reviews and 860 photos
Long wanted to visit Pulau Redang. Heard that it has become very commerciaised with all the nice resorts and stuffs. Well, I will be going end of July 2004 for the first time. The main objective of going there is of course diving and to R&R (rest & relax).
Pulau (stands for "island" in Malay)Redang is located in the South China Sea off the East Coast of Peninsular Malaysia. It lies about 45 km north-northeast of Kuala Terengganu, the state capital of Terengganu, and about 22 km off Tanjung Merang, the closest point on the mainland.
SOME HISTORY AND BACKGROUND
The first settlers of Pulau Redang were believed to be the Bugis from Celebes, Indonesia. They established their first village at Telok Kalong and later moved south to Pulau Pinang ("betel nut palm island"), the island where the Marine Park Centre is located.
Until recently, Kampung Air ("water village") at Pulau Redang was home to a community of about 250 fishermen families believed to be descendants of these original Bugis settlers. Many have since left the fishing trade and moved into the rapidly growing tourism industry, working for resorts on the island. When Kampung Air was torn down in 2001, a number of these families were relocated to a new village inland, while others chose to move back to the mainland.
In 1991, Pulau Redang and its neighbouring islands were officially designated as the Pulau Redang Marine Park.
As a Marine Park, it a protected site under the supervision of the Malaysian Dept. of Fisheries. Since then, it has been gaining popularity among divers and snorkellers due to its natural beauty and its abundant coral reef life.
MANY ISLANDS IN THE MARINE PARK
The Pulau Redang archipelago comprises Pulau Redang, Pulau Lima, Pulau Paku Besar, Pulau Paku Kecil, Pulau Kerengga Kecil, Pulau Kerengga Besar, Pulau Ekor Tebu, Pulau Ling and Pulau Pinang.
Pulau Redang is the biggest of all the islands in the Marine Park, measuring about 7 km long and 6 km wide. It's highest peak is Bukit Besar at 359 metres above sea level. The boundary of the Pulau Redang Marine Park is established by a line linking all points 2 nautical miles from the shores of Pulau Redang, Pulau Lima, Pulau Ekor Tebu and Pulau Pinang.
The other nearby islands of Pulau Perhentian Besar, Pulau Perhentian Kecil, Pulau Lang Tengah, Pulau Kapas and Pulau Susu Dara are also gazetted and protected as Marine Parks. Today, only the bigger islands like Redang, Lang Tengah, Perhentian and Kapas have resort facilities for visitors.
The management of Marine Parks primarily involves protection of the sensitive marine and terrestrial ecosystems by controlling the impact from human activities. These include waste & pollution management and conservation of coral reefs and terrestrial habitats.
- Pros:Beautiful Place.
- Cons:Becoming very commercialised.
- In a nutshell:Just go!
Play beach volleyball in the evening just outside the Laguna Redang Resort. Is fun. more travel advice
There is karaoke singing at the open-air restaurant bar every night at Redang Reef Resort. It is FREE if you buy a drink... more travel advice
Written Aug 6, 2004
Trip to Pulau Redang - July 2004
Written Aug 6, 2004
bkoon's Related Pages
Pulau Redang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Redang"
- "~~~~PULAU REDANG~~~"
- "An island that I will call paradise - Redang!"
- "IMPREXXION: PULAU REDANG"
- "Pulau Redang - A Day Trip to a Beautiful Island"
- "Photo of my meals on Flights to & fro Pulau Redang"
- "Beautiful Beaches n White Sand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Redang
- Hotels in Pulau Redang
- Transportation in Pulau Redang
- Nightlife in Pulau Redang
- Restaurants in Pulau Redang
- Shopping in Pulau Redang
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Redang
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pulau Redang
- 13 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Pulau Redang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Redang
Photos in Pulau RedangSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 132 reviews, 160 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 142 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 103 reviews, 119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 54 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 37 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukit Fraser Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (105)
Latest Pulau Redang hotel reviews