"Johor Bahru - A PLACE I CALL MY HOME" Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru by bkoon
Johor Bahru Travel Guide: 520 reviews and 948 photos
Johor Bahru has become a bustling city over the years. Standard of living is quite high too, as compared to other cities in Malaysia.
There's not much places of interest in Johor Bahru but it is a place where you can savour on very good food.
Johor is the southern most state of Peninsula Malaysia, known also as the Southern Gateway to Malaysia. It is just next to Singapore. Johor is one of the most developed states in the country with a flourishing economy and many interesting places. The busiest city in Johor is Johor Bahru which is also connected to Singapore by a causeway and a "second link".
Well, I have stayed in JB since I was 5/6 years old but I still do not know the place at my finger tips. Still exploring. However, if you need any help, do let me know and I will try to share at my best. Happy travels.
State : Johor
Capital : Johor Bahru
Population (2000) : 2,740,652
Total Area (sq km) : 18,986
Tempreature (degrees Celcius) : 26 - 27
Humidity (%) : 82 - 86
Rainfall (mm) : 2,030 - 3,050
Head of State : Sultan: His Majesty Sultan Iskandar Ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Ismail
Head of Govt : Mentri Besar: Y.A.B. Dato' Haji Abdul Ghani Othman
The former name of Johor Bahru is Tanjung Puteri. It adopted the present name on 1st Jamuary 1866 and in 1994, Johor Bahru was declared a city.
The growth of modern Johor is attributed mainly to Sultan Abu Bakar who became the Sultan of Johor in 1885. He introduced western methods of public administration known as johor Civil Servie and gave Johor its first constituion. For his role in bringing about rapid development of Johor, Sultan Abu Bakar was accorded the honour as 'The Father of Modern Johor'. He passed away in 1895 and was succeeded by his son, Sultan Ibrahim. It was during the reign of Sultan Ibrahim that the Johor Causeway and the Sultan Ibrahim building were constructed.
Today, Johor Bahru district is the State's administrative centre, the hub of transportatioin, businesses, entertainment, the venue of several international events and the home of many excellent golf courses. It has also evolved into a metropolis with cultural diversity and a string of historical buildings and relics.
- Visting the few places of interest
- Go shopping
- Karaoke singing
- Observing livelihood of the people
- Exploring other parts of Johor State
- Pros:A lot of things to do.
- Cons:A lot of things to do.
- In a nutshell:You need to visit Johor to get the most out of it!
A food court kinda place with lots of stalls. Taman Universiti is one of the new housing estates in Johor Bahru. There,... more travel advice
Just outside the Johor Bahru High Court, near the Istana Museum and JOTIC, there is a small city park, or rather,... more travel advice
Written Nov 1, 2003
Written Nov 1, 2003
Sultan Abu Bakar Mosque - A closer look
bkoon's Related Pages
Johor Bahru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Selamat Datang!!! A Very Warm Welcome!!!"
- "Johor Bahru - A PLACE I CALL MY HOME"
- "Johor Darul Ta'zim"
- "Day Trips to Johor Bahru"
- "JB - Johor Bahru City"
- "Johor Bahru -- Nice Town, but beware of Cons"
- "Johor Bahru"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Johor Bahru
- Hotels in Johor Bahru
- Transportation in Johor Bahru
- Nightlife in Johor Bahru
- Restaurants in Johor Bahru
- Shopping in Johor Bahru
- Warnings and Dangers in Johor Bahru
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Johor Bahru
- 34 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Johor Bahru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Johor Bahru
- Posted in Travel Bali Forum "Re: Are there any villa-style..."
- Commented on one of imstress's Johor Bahru travel pages
- Wrote a Review Anoter Great Ba Kut Teh Which I Have Yet Tried in Johor Bahru Restaurants
- updated a Johor Bahru Travel Page "Johor Bahru - A PLACE I CALL MY HOME"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Johor Bahru - A PLACE I CALL MY HOME"
Photos in Johor BahruSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 132 reviews, 160 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Singapore Intro, 142 reviews, 89 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Laos Intro, 103 reviews, 119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 54 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 41 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor Intro, 37 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 29 reviews, 53 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bukit Fraser Intro, 21 reviews, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Croatia Intro, 29 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Johor Bahru Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues