"guell's Hanoi page" Hanoi by guell

Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,747 reviews and 6,065 photos

Days 4 and 5

We only had two days in Hanoi, and I wish we had had four! Hanoi was a paradox. The motorbikes were everywhere and their relentless honking was deafening at times. Crossing the street was done by pure faith. We would have to step into the street and keep a steady pace, and somehow the traffic knew to go around us! Yet the atmosphere was mysteriously serene. We felt safe, and other than the occasional street vendor and cyclo driver vying for our attention, we were left alone. We were free to explore, free to get lost.

We will return one day, though with all of the modernization that Vietnam is experiencing, I have a feeling that when we do, we’ll experience an entirely different Hanoi.

• Last visit to Hanoi: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2005

• Feb 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM

Hi Quell, Re the restaurant you would never have found: Noodle Shop, 9B Hoa Ma St. How do I find Clair of Hidden Hanoi? I'm going to Hanoi in May. Thx, suzanne.stephen@gmail.com

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM

The one pillar pagoda is truly amazing ;-)

• hooiluangoh's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 1:30 AM

I would think USD15 spent in a market in Vietnam was horribly expensive. My experience in HCMC was that an excellent meal costs about USD 1 to USD 2 per person, unless we are eating in a international chain-restaurant at international prices.

• maysue's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 1:17 AM

Gosh! It looks very delicious! Yum Yum!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 4:55 AM

oh, i wish i was back in hanoi... very good tips! your food tips make my mouth water... :) did you try pho cuon? or nem?

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 9:54 AM

Nice Page! I love Vietnamese food, and would like to visit that country (but I think I better stay out of the mausoleum...before I make an inappropriate comment)

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2006 at 8:03 PM

That soup looks SO good! Great tip. I wish to go to Hanoi for bun rieu soup!

• gypsysoul73's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 11:44 PM

Thank you so so so much for all your tips on Hanoi! I am going tomorrow with some girlfriends and your tips will help a great deal! :)

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2005 at 9:17 AM

Hanoi: it is difficult to describe, but you describe it well!

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2005 at 10:55 PM

Excellent writeup guell, your food tips are authentic and yummy. Btw, I agree with Sim, love your opening photo!

guell

“live to travel; travel to live”

Badges & Stats in Hanoi