"Cave Run Lake, "Twin Knobs Campground"" Morehead by Darkeyedgirl
Morehead Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 19 photos
If you are looking for a lake-side campground with some BEAUTIFUL sunsets.... this is the place.
You can also boat, fish, and do other camping-type things (sit around and drink beer and shoot the breeze), but for those of us in life who want to sit and watch the sun sink into a big beautiful lake... bring a camera and soak it all in!
We spent lots of time down on the rocks watching the clouds / sunsets and listening to the waves hit the shore.
The campground DOES have a sandy beach, down a ways from where the rocky beach is; but it was closed at the time of year we went (September).
This 'rocky beach' area used to actually be a wall that crumbled; so there are plenty of large, flat rocks to steady yerself on (for those of us who are vertically challenged most days, walking on rocks is not exactly a favorite pasttime UNLESS they are large and flat and 'walkonable'...)...
This is an overhead map (drawn, not Googlemapped) of the full facility, so you can see how the 'loops' lay out.
The sandy beach is down on the lower left of the map; the rocky beach (and glorious sunsets!) are up on the upper left hand side.
You come into the Twin Knobs Campground from the far right (the long single road); and then enter the park - get yer badge if you've prepaid or, pay and try to find a spot. Some spots are reservable ahead of time; others are "first come first serve".
The loops are alphabetical; beginning with Loop A, ending somewhere in the middle of the alphabet... we loved loved LOVED Loop I. Loop G has the BEST view of the lake AND sunsets. Loop I however was buried more in the woods than the other loops; and our spot was 'mostly' private (more on that later)...
- Pros:Close to just about anywhere in KY; clean; lovely!
- Cons:Some campers don't abide by the leash rule...
- In a nutshell:We go here every September. Our camping getaway, pure Heaven!
Twin Knobs has been VERY well kept and updated. Recently - late 2011 - they demolished the bathhouses / restrooms and... more travel advice
Darkeyedgirl's Related Pages
Morehead Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Morehead, Rowan County"
- "Cave Run Lake, "Twin Knobs Campground""
- "Hwy. 60 Road Trip- Dehart's Bible & Tire Store"
- "Basaic Morehead Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Morehead
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Morehead?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Morehead
Photos in MoreheadSee All Photos (8)
Top 5 Pages
- Cancún Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gatlinburg Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Myrtle Beach Intro, 8 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hocking Hills State Park Intro, 4 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.