"Bendigo, the city built with gold" Top 5 Page for this destination Bendigo by eviltooth

Bendigo Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 238 photos

Or so it says....

In the guidebook, it says, "After a pleasant two hour drive from Melbourne, your first glimpse of Bendigo is through an avenue of majestic plane trees.". Majestic plane trees yes, pleasant two hour drive no. Finally, after years of saying, "I want to go to Bendigo!" I finally convinced my boyfriend to drop by on our way to Shepparton in August 2003. However, due to him not used to driving on the left hand side and me too slow in giving direction we got stuck on the wrong freeway and couldn't get ourselves out. After 1 tense hour on the darn freeway and a couple of stops along the way, we finally arrived in Bendigo 4 and a half hours later.

We didn't get to stay there for long as we wanted to get to Shepparton before dark, what a pity.

Pic shows the Beehives along Pall Mall. It was the site of Australia's first stock exchange. Established in the 1860's it was originaly known as the Sandhurst Mining Exchange.

Bendigo vs. Ballarat

I'd always heard how beautiful Bendigo is, but for some unknown reason, I'd only visited Ballarat, Bendigo's "rival" city, think Springfield and Springvale, alright, I'm exaggerating here, but they do compete when it comes to tourism. Both prospered due to the gold rush, both rich in history with elegant Victorian-era buildings, and both have a history of Chinese immigration. Gold mining, however, still continues in Bendigo, making Bendigo one of the richest goldfield in the world.

Just for the experience.....

My second visit was on the 2nd Dec 2003. A friend from the dental school is working in the Community Dental Services in Bendigo and she highly recommended that I work there after I graduate, I thought why not and sent in my CV. A week later they told me to go there for an interview. However, by the time they informed me I'd already been offered two jobs, one in Mildura and the other in Mount Isa, the place where I've always wanted to work since I was in 1st year of Uni.

So there I was, barely out of Uni (haven't officially graduate, haven't even got my results) and being offered my dream job without a face to face formal interview (I've never been to a job interview before!), it all sounded too good to be true, and that also made me very curious what an interview is like. Everyone's telling me how scary it is but I wanted to experience it for myself. Since I already got a "back up" I don't care even if I stuffed up. :p

Ling (aka Footfetish) and Baton_West boarded the north bound train with me. Train journey was only 2 hours, so I figured it'll probably take less time if we didn't take the wrong turn onto the wrong freeway.

I was told that the hospital is only 20 minutes walk away from the train station, but it took much longer than that. Public transport is almost non-existent so be prepared.

Update: Now I'm stuffed. They offered me the job, and I dunno how to reject them! I feel so evil!

• Last visit to Bendigo: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 16, 2004

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Unfortunately I did not get to Bendigo, now I am sorry. Not sure when I will get to Oz again, but enjoyed seeing Bendigo thru your eyes ;-)

• Nov 9, 2005 at 4:02 AM

Being a Bendigo resident for the past 20 years it was interesting to read a visitor's views. And there were things mentioned that I had no idea about. Very informative and interestingly written.

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2005 at 2:11 PM

Quite a Victorian gem you've got there! I shall particularly treasure the mention made of J.H.Curnow, founder of the Bendigo Sewerage Authority. Where would the British Empire have been without the sanitary delights of the flushable lavatory?!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2004 at 4:43 AM

Very interesting and informative.

• ombre's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2004 at 10:23 AM

great page .my uncle owns a motel there next time I'll get a room for next to nothing.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2004 at 4:09 AM

great info!

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 4:57 AM

I never did make it to Bendigo - looks a nice little place, though. Maybe one day...

• FOotFetish's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2004 at 8:08 PM

There you go......brings back good memories :)

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2003 at 7:20 PM

interesting page with lot's of good info. i like your writing style.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2003 at 10:56 PM

Must have been a Windigo of a tirip to Bendigo if you have only one picture, I guess you can blame Ling...only have pictures of FEET..!!!

eviltooth

“I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!”

Badges & Stats in Bendigo

Have you been to Bendigo?

Latest Activity in Bendigo