"You are not a real Aussie 'til you've been to Isa" Mount Isa by eviltooth
Mount Isa Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 58 photos
Mount Isa, never dream that I'll be able to work here one day, though I'd striven very hard to make my dream come true.
I didn't know about Isa's existence till I saw an ad on the school's notice board looking for dentist 5 years ago. For some unknown reason, the name just caught my attention. I pulled out the map. Isa, in the middle of nowhere, an oasis in a barren land. Different.
2 weeks before my final year examination, I saw the ad again.
"Full Time Graduate Dentist required for busy Mt Isa practice"
A week after I sent out my CV I got a surprise call.
The chat (or rather a disguised interview) ended with "Do you mind if I talk with your referee?" (Who would say yes?!)
1 week, 2 weeks...."Hi this is Scott, so when would you like to start work?"
By then I was about to chicken out. The thought of relocating to a place I've never been to with average temperature 40 degrees Celcius and above in summer is both scary and exciting. So I told him I'll have to think about it.
A week went by and I still haven't make up my mind. While walking along the street with VT'er Roman (dracko), Scott called again and offered to fly me up to have a look.
"You can trial us for 3 months and if you like it here you can stay longer."
Ok, this is too much. I've only heard of employee on probation but not the other way round!
3rd all expenses paid trip offered by potential employer. Friend later joke that I should start applying for jobs in places I would like to visit. Hmm....Tassie seems like a lovely place.
Anyway, that's Leichardt River in the pic taken from the bridge. The drought has caused the river on the other side of the bridge to dry up. Leichardt divides Isa in half, with the world's largest copper mine on one side and the town on the other.
When I told my mate Matt (it rhymes! sorry Matt! :p) I'm moving to the Isa his first reaction was "boring ugly red dirt town", and tried to dissuade me from coming here, just like everyone else did (but failed anyway :p). You should come here he said, it's 10 minutes from the beach. Surfer can't leave the coast, like fish can't leave the water. The Coast. Very tempting. But I said next time.
Toxic cloud, sulphur fume, unbearable heat, they said.
Only the unbearable heat has become a reality. Toxic cloud, no where to be seen. Sulphur fume, didn't smell any.
Average temperature has maintained above 40 degrees Celcius everyday since I touched down until recently. Yes, storms're coming. Can't wait. Please rain.
No, the cloud you see in this pic is not the toxic cloud. This is the cloud that's suppose to give us the storm we're expecting (well according to Matt who works at the QLD Bureau of Meteorolog anyway). Come on give us the rain!
Mount Isa is one of the biggest city in the world with an area of 41,000 square kilometres - equivalent to that of Switzerland. Our nearest suburb is Camooweal, which is 180km away. ;)
The Isa is described as the Oasis in the Outback, and home to about 20,900 people who come from more than 50 different nations.
Pic was taken from the plane on the way to Isa.
If you strain your eyes, you can see the cattle stations scattered throughout the dry barren land from the sky.
- Pros:Very friendly folks, in the middle of no where, quiet little town, the great outback within minutes drive, ideal place to take your driving test :p
- Cons:Too warm in summer, difficult to get around without a car, shopaholics stay clear!
Turning left just prior to Mary Kathleen town will bring you to the open-cut mine. The existing bitumen road is in... more travel advice
The City Lookout is right behind my backyard. From there you can have an unobstructed 360 degrees view of the city and... more travel advice
eviltooth's Related Pages
Mount Isa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "You are not a real Aussie 'til you've been to Isa"
- "The Gulf country."
- "The Isa"
- "You`re not a real Aussie `til you`ve been to......"
- "As Out Back as it Gets"
- "Copper mine"
- "Queensland's Mineral Wealth. Mt Isa."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Isa
- Hotels in Mount Isa
- Transportation in Mount Isa
- Nightlife in Mount Isa
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Isa
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mount Isa
- 17 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Mount Isa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Isa
- Posted in Travel Istanbul Forum "Re: Driver "
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mary Kathleen Uranium Mine"
- Wrote a Review Mary Kathleen Uranium Mine in Mount Isa Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Mount Isa Travel Page "You are not a real Aussie 'til you've been to Isa"
- Commented on one of australia2's Mount Isa travel pages
Photos in Mount IsaSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 63 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pilica Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mount Isa Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lorne Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bendigo Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phillip Island Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Poland Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Bath Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Cape Otway Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Mount Isa hotel reviews
- All Seasons Mt Isa Verona Hotel
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013